Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Maybe she's not ready?

Default Maybe she's not ready?

DD recently turned 6 months old so we've slowly started our foray into the world of solids.

I made some applesauce for her and tried it with her this morning and while she seems very interested, as soon as she gets a taste in her mouth, her face looks like she's not a fan (she even does the shudder like when you taste something bad!). She had a couple little tastes and then it was obvious she was done.

So at this point I'm wondering what our approach should be. Is she maybe just not ready and I should give it a few weeks and try again? Perhaps give it a few days and try something else?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in no rush for DD to eat solids but just thought if she's going to experiment, it would be nice if she at least liked the taste, even if she only has a few bites.

Default Re: Maybe she's not ready?

My DD didn't like applesauce at first, either (she did the shudder thing, too). I just mashed bananas up for her and she seemed to like that much better. I think apples are a little too tart when they are used to the sweetness of bm.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

bananas were my DS's first food (other than rice cereal, which he did not like), and he adored them. it's easy, too -- just smash up a little bit really good with a fork, and you eat the rest! or, in my case, DH eats the rest -- i hate them!
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

What you describe sounds like a success to me. She was interested, she tried a couple tastes, she let you know when she was finished. To me that's a great start, even though she didn't like the taste. I'm that you should try some other first foods- sweet potatoes, bananas, carrots. You never know what she'll like.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My daughter's pediatrician told me that you sometimes have to offer a new food to your little one between 8 and 12 times before they "say" they like it! I'd say if you get the "eww" face then just put down the spoon for that night and try the new food again the next night.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

DS did the shudder thing too...for almost 2 mos!
    and now he just started eating those things that he didn't seem to like...expecially banana and avocado.and a whole peeled apple to scrape with his first teeth!
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Do you know about baby led solids (BLS)? I had no idea before I became a regular here but it appealed to me. DS wasn't much of an eater for a very long time but I would rather that than thinking I was responsible for unhealthy eating habits like eating when you aren't hungry. (I get to be responsible for unhealthy eating habits like a passion for sausages instead ) Oh and FWIW I shudder at applesauce myself.

(I am not saying the conventional way of feeding babies is bad. I am just saying that I feel unreasonable guilt about enough other things and didn't want this to be one. Also the fact that i was pregnant and those jars look and smell like the contents of a baby diaper had nothing to do with my decision at all obviously)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

no kidding about the smell! i bought a jar of baby food peaches the other day because peaches are out of season, and my son smelled like rotting peaches the rest of the night. he liked them, though!
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/