Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy & crying instead of feeding/latching on?

Default Fussy & crying instead of feeding/latching on?

Hi, I'm a new mom to a little girl who was born at 36 weeks, 5 lbs 3 ozs, and I'm getting kind of confused and frustrated. The first week she was not latching on so I was pumping and feeding her with a bottle and the S&S tube, but also having to supplement with some formula while waiting for my milk to come in. Now, 10 days after she was born, I'm BF'ing with a nipple shield and producing plenty of milk (i'm pumping after each feed), but I'm worried because LO is very fussy for at least 15 mins sitting at the breast before she starts to feed. And then she often just falls asleep at the breast for long stretches. She has plenty of BMs every days, but they are often watery and greenish yellow. Is she not getting enough hindmilk? How do I change this? I have been waking her up every 2-3 hrs to feed, do I need to do this if she is sleepy? Thanks for any help you can offer.
    asb

Default Re: Fussy & crying instead of feeding/latching on?

Fussiness at the breast is common with newborns- it can take them a while to master the art of breastfeeding. It's also common with babies who have had a lot of bottles: babies are smart and rapidly learn that milk comes out of the bottle faster and easier than it does from the breast. If that's what's going on, the fussiness is your baby's way of saying "Hey, don't give me the breast again- I want that easy bottle!" Here are some things you can try:
    - Get her to the breast sooner, before she starts to exhibit urgent hunger cues. Sometimes babies latch on more willingly when they haven't yet reached the frantic "I'm starving" stage.
    - Try expressing a little milk onto the nipple or dribbling some onto the breast. The taste of immediate gratification may encourage your baby to latch on and suckle.

And then she often just falls asleep at the breast for long stretches.
    Here's a useful link on waking a sleepy baby.

She has plenty of BMs every days, but they are often watery and greenish yellow. Is she not getting enough hindmilk? How do I change this?
    Watery, greenish-yellow BMs can be normal. They can also be a sign of inadequate overall milk intake or inadequate hindmilk intake. I would make sure to take your baby for frequent weight checks while she is still so small, just in case.

One problem with using a nipple shield is that it can slow/reduce milk transfer. That's why they are supposed to be used only with guidance from a lactation consultant. If you can get your baby off the shield, you may see better results.

I have been waking her up every 2-3 hrs to feed, do I need to do this if she is sleepy?
    Yes, absolutely. Babies should be roused frequently to feed, especially if they are small, sleepy, or non-demanding (reference, see #6 under "Recommendations on breastfeeding for healthy term infants").
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Fussy & crying instead of feeding/latching on?

thanks so much--this is really helpful. The "waking a sleepy baby" article is exactly what I need!