Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Temporary (2 week) session drop?

Question Temporary (2 week) session drop?

I will be going on a week long work trip early March. Right now my LO is 9 months and I pump 3x/day which keeps me right at pace with the 24oz he drinks each day. (We were only able to EP)

My pump schedule is 5am, 1pm, 8pm. It is going to be really hard to fit in the lunch time pump session during my trip. I was thinking I might be able to drop to 2 sessions per day for a couple weeks and then go back to 3x/day when I return.

Has anyone done something similar?
    How much do you think my daily supply will drop?
    Is my milk production likely to get back to 24oz/day quickly?

I am okay if we have to use a little formula and we have about 3-4 weeks of a frozen milk stash to use. However, I would rather not switch him over to much formula so we can get closer to a year. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!!!
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

Default Re: Temporary (2 week) session drop?

Dropping a pumping session for a week will certainly result in decrease in supply.

What about pumping twice before you go out for the day, and twice before bed?

That's a good idea! I guess it would be similar to a BF baby only nursing in the am and pm with no pumping during the day, correct? My schedule would then probably be:

5am, 7am, 9pm, 10pm
    Does this sound like it would work? I will need to be out the door at 7:30 and probably not back until 9pm although some days, I might be able to take a break before dinner....
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

This sounds like a good idea. You migth want to consider trying to sneak in the extra two pumps a couple of days before you leave. This way your body will already be making the extra milk by the time you leave and that way you can store some extra for your little one while you're gone. You should be abel to cut it out once you get back very easily. Good luck!