Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6.5 months and not ready?

Default 6.5 months and not ready?

Our daughter is almost 7 months and still gags and pushes food out whenever I offer her any solid. I first tried pureed food, banana, avocado, sweet potato, and applesauce. Then I tried banana and avocado, BLS style(?). She seems to really like the taste and will continue trying to feed herself, but as soon as she gets somehting on her tongue, she gags.
    My friends and family seem concerned that she's not eating anything yet and our pedi seemed concerned that she didn't seem 'physically' ready. She's not behind in any other area, crawling, sitting up by herself, even some furniture surfing, but just doesn't seem ready for solids. Has anyone else had a LO that was interested but wasn't ready at almost 7 months? How often should I offer her solids? Should I be concerned myself? Thanks in advance.
    Kelly
    to a beautiful baby girl
    Born 07/10/09 @ 0415 - 6lbs 7oz - 19.5 in

Default Re: 6.5 months and not ready?

I don't think you should be concerned. Given what you've posted about your baby's physical development I doubt there's any issue other than a late loss of gag reflex. And there's no reason to be concerned about your baby "not eating anything" because she didn't grow to her present size on air and sunshine. Mama's milk counts as food!!! According to my pediatrician, solids aren't nutritionally necessary until the first birthday, anyway- breastmilk or formula meets all the baby's needs.

I'd just continue with the BLS approach- it sounds like your baby is enjoying it, and at this age solids are more for playing and learning and tasting than for eating. Even though your baby isn't swallowing anything yet, she's still getting a lot out of what she's doing!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's not unusual for babies to not be ready for solids until 8 or 9 mo or later.

I'd back off, continue offering solids but not "push" them and wait for baby to be ready.

We did BLS starting at 6 mo. Baby was interested in exploring food but really didn't eat until around 8.5 mo.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We started offering solids around 6mo, but he wasn't really into them until 7.5 or 8. I don't think it's that uncommon!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

It's not uncommon at all. All babies need is breast milk for the first year of life so solids are just for practice. It is very common for a baby to not be ready for solids at 6 months or older.
    Theresa
    LLL Leader

I understand you are worried my ped and parents always stress me for the same reason!
    but your LO is perfectly normal!we started to offer solids in various form at 6 mos and he's 8.5 now and still doesn't eat anything.
    so just keep on trying and don't worry anymore
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Thanks for the reassurance. I knew some babies weren't interested in solids until later, but wasn't sure it was normal to still have the tongue reflex after 6 mos. She's very "fluffy" and definitely not lacking but just wanted to make sure everything's ok and I didn't want to pressure her. It's crazy how docs and family make babies seem so cut and dry. Any variation and there's something wrong. That's why I LOVE LLL and wouldn't have been able to establish such a great bfing relationship with my baby without you girls and the leaders. Thanks again!
    to a beautiful baby girl
    Born 07/10/09 @ 0415 - 6lbs 7oz - 19.5 in

Yeah no concerns! Family and ped pressure always sucks. I've had to deal with a lot of it. Just take it with a grain of salt. I always ignore it, and if they get really bad I just tell them how it is. That's awesome though that your LO is already crawling and everything!
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10