Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Do you hide the fact that you are still nursing?

Default Re: Do you hide the fact that you are still nursing?

DD is 22 months, and I don't hide it, but no one has criticized me either. I'm sorry you're getting that. You're doing the best thing for your child. Don't stop just because other people are criticizing you.

I don't mention that I am still nursing when I am at work. I work with two other women who have both breastfed, but for a much shorter time. I feel a little weird talking about how I've pump weaned but still nurse all night, in part because I don't want to get into "Mommy Wars" topics with them, you know? I don't want them to feel like they have to defend their decision. At home, I don't hide the fact that I am nursing at all, although I do get some snide questions about whether I plan to nurse Joe "until he's five or something"? So I can definitely see why otherwise big lactivists would just feel beaten down after a while. It sucks!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I officially hide the fact that I'm nursing. I try to avoid nursing in public mostly because I'm sick of the comments and stares. I don't know what it is that people feel like they have a right to make "You're STILL nursing?!" comments at me. It's as hurtful as going up to someone and saying "Wow, you're fat." You don't just walk up to someone and say stuff like that! And besides, it's NO ONE'S business what you do with your life and your kids.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown