Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you hide the fact that you are still nursing?

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Do you hide the fact that you are still nursing?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Why do you say their bodies are receptive to it until they start to turn five? I don't understand. What happens at five?
    My understanding is that they have some kind of "lipase receptors" or something like that until some time in their 4s. They can easily break down breast milk until that age. I may have the wrong term here but it has something to do with that. Anyone??

I wish I had the exact language but I read this several times and it stuck. I also remember someone paraphrasing a Native America poem or story in which the narrator says that "I had just turned five and stopped asking for my mother's milk." That stuck with me too.

I try very hard not to judge other people's parenting but what does sicken me is the idea of foisting full independence on such little children. If my daughter had lost interest in BFing at a younger age, I would have gladly obliged! I don't actually enjoy it anymore!! But I want her to be ready. Kids start to gain independence on their own and if you read their cues, you can understand when they're ready to make changes.

However, if we're heading towards five and still BFing, then maybe we'll have to have a talk.

I nursed in public all the time, but by the time he was two and a half or so, I'd pretty much stopped. He didn't ask that often, and if I could discourage it, I did, but if he insisted, then I'd go ahead and nurse. But Sam nursed until he was almost three and a half, and I reached the point where all I got was active disapproval about him continuing to nurse - my extended family was horrified that he was still nursing. I announced that as far as they were concerned, I weaned last week and refused to discuss it anymore. I had spent so much time trying to educate everyone and just reached the point where it was willfull ignorance on their part - and fighting with them about it bothered me so much, I just refused to participate anymore.
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

My DD is almost 27 months. I don't hide it, per se, but I rarely NIP anymore. I feel like at this age she can wait until we're home and we can get comfy on the couch. Of course if she really needed to nurse because she was hurt or something, I don't deny her, but that's rarely the case. She's usually too busy when we're out to even think about milk anyway. However when we're at home and she's bored, she wants to nurse all. the. time!

I stopped NIP when dd1 was around 12 mths, most of my friends had weaned their babies and no one seemed to understand. It wasn't really a big deal, she never asked when we were out anyway. A few close friends knew that she still nursed but not many. Interesting tho, the most supportive friend that I had was one who only nursed for 6 weeks. She was always saying what a good job I was doing and never minded listening when I had trouble. I was lucky tho since neither family minded. She self-weaned when I was pg with dd2 and it was a bit sad but it seemed like she was ready. I didn't do a thing to stop her (besides having less milk of course). I have had to pump a lot to keep the supply up for dd2 and dd1 is enjoying mommy's milk in her sippy cup! I know it is unlikely that I will ever give that milk to dd2 so why not give it to dd1.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Today was the first day I felt really judged by a friend for breastfeeding my 2 yr old. And not having my husband's support is even harder.

I have always felt confident breatfeeding in public. I can do it so descretely in a carrier and it gives me so much freedom. i don't want to give up that freedom and comfort for my toddler. I also feel that she will lose her mind if she asks for "mommy milk" and has to wait to get home. How sad!

Today I wished I could just surround myself with other moms who think like me, but I know that is not possible.

What a struggle. Set limitations? Or just continue to breastfeed wherever, whenever, around whoever??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dassa View Post
    Today was the first day I felt really judged by a friend for breastfeeding my 2 yr old. And not having my husband's support is even harder.

I have always felt confident breatfeeding in public. I can do it so descretely in a carrier and it gives me so much freedom. i don't want to give up that freedom and comfort for my toddler. I also feel that she will lose her mind if she asks for "mommy milk" and has to wait to get home. How sad!

Today I wished I could just surround myself with other moms who think like me, but I know that is not possible.

What a struggle. Set limitations? Or just continue to breastfeed wherever, whenever, around whoever??

IMO it's fine to set reasonable limitations at this age as long as you stand by them. It's nice for DD to finally be old enough that I can run errands without having to stop a million times to nurse her. We can get out, take care of business, and then reconnect on the couch when we get home. She will sometimes ask for milk if we're around new people, but I just tell her that we will when we get home. We always have milk right away when we arrive home, though.

DD is 16 months. I like to ask moms "are you still nursing" so that puts the line out there that it is normal to nurse a toddler. Even if I have no idea if they are FF or BF. I kindof do like to "advertise" it, when given the choice to go to a more private location to NIP I do not hesitate to just nurse where we are.
    Nursed for 18 months

Gee..why do you think bottles have nipples? Hmm...maybe because THE ORIGINAL, THE BEST has a nipple. It's called the breast!

Keep on nursing mama!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

My son loves to ask to nurse everywhere we go, he think it's hilarious. But we never NIP he I fine sticking his hand down my shirt until later. My whole family knows he still nurses because I do nurse in front of them. I also talk about it on FB so all my friends know too. So no we don't hide it and thanks to an annoying toddler even strangers discover it too!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I don't "advertise" nursing my 20-month old DD, either, but like several pps said, it is such a huge part of our lives I find myself talking about it all the time. I have found that people have been surprisingly supportive when I do talk about it. But I totally understand not wanting to talk about BFing unless it is a positive conversation. Negative people are a huge waste of time and you are not going to change their minds (at least not very often). When someone asks me if I'm "still" breastfeeding, I say something like, "Yes, thank goodness. I don't know what I'd do if she quit!" Sometimes people ask me why and I tell them that I think she's healthier and it's easier when she's teething and it's easy to get her to sleep and we both love it, etc. But if they are truly grossed out, they just drop it there.

Here's a big shout out to all of us mamas still nursing, even if it is in the closet!!!!