Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blocked duct/blood when pumping

Question Blocked duct/blood when pumping

Yesterday, I had a plugged duct, now this morning when I pumped, I eneded up pumping some blood. I dumped the milk with blood in it, and continued to pump since the blood seemed to stop.

I am wondering if I need to be concerend about this?

Default Re: Blocked duct/blood when pumping

Do you have any symtoms of mastitis?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

I don't have any signs of mastitis. I just had the plugged duct (Which happens rather frequently, always the same spot). That's not plugged anymore. I am still a little sore, and occasionally get shooting pains on that side, but nothing else.

I pumped again at lunch time and there was no blood, so I'm hoping whatever was going on is not going to happen again.

This has happened to me a few times. Last time I spoke with a Lactation consultant and with DD Pedi, and was told by both that it was fine to give her the milk, If I was comfortable doing that. They said that had I not been pumping she would have got the milk without me knowing anyway. Like I said This has happened to me a few times, it is ususally during my afternoon pumping and then it is done. LC said it could be a plugged duct, or an injury to the breast and not to worry unless I have bad pain in my breast, a fever, or if the bleeding continues, so I don't worry to much.