Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blackstrap Molasses

Default Blackstrap Molasses

I've been trying to get iron-rich foods into my daughter's diet, and it is kind of hit and miss. I just remembered that I had a jar of unsulfured blackstrap molasses and added just a little bit of that to her whole grain hippy waffles the other day, and it went over spectacularly... Yesterday I added a bit to her oatmeal, and it was still a hit. Have any of you used blackstrap molasses, and what quantity? I don't want to overdo it... As far as the constipation possibility, haven't found a thing that causes that for us so far (still keeping an eye out).
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Default Re: Blackstrap Molasses

I used it when sarah had low iron.
    I never noticed that it gave her problems.

That's exactly what got my daughter's dangerously low iron levels back up. The doctors were shocked that I hadn't given her any iron vitamins. I would put a teaspoon in her oatmeal each morning. I guess because we were still breastfeeding regularly, we didn't have any constipation problems.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I use this with my kids instead of another kind of sweetener (like honey or sugar). They are 19 mo. and 3. They both love it. I put it in their oatmeal and on their cereal, etc. No issues with constipation. We just make sure to brush their teeth well after using it.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

My kiddo LOVES molasses as a sweetner. Other iron rich foods include apples/applesauce, but more importantly PRUNES. When he was little, I used to stew the prunes in a bit of water to make them super soft and he LOVED them. We certainly did not have any problems with constipation!
    Mommy to DS - 12/29/2007 and DD - 4/11/2010
    We are taking tandem nursing day by day