Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cows milk?!

Default cows milk?!

I was just wondering if cows milk is a dietary need or stage in the transition to solids or if it is just to help soften the blow of cutting BM or formula? I know that for some reason we are not a very socially accepting society to breastfeeding after the age of 1 and i cant help but suspect that the introduction of cows milk at this stage is just to help the weening process. My DS is sensitive (though I wouldnt say 'allergic') to lactose so I have cut it from my diet. I cant help but notice that i have become more energized and 'regular' since i have removed dairy. does cows milk serve a nutritious purpose to toddlers? I think based on my experience, that i would rather BF for an extra few months if it is just supposed to serve as a BM substitute. any ideas?
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in

Default Re: cows milk?!

this link might be helpful to you
    As long as your toddler is nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours you don't have to worry about milk subs.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

NO need to wean!

Default Re: cows milk?!

with Andrea. In many cultures (particularly in Asia), cow's milk is not a normal part of the human diet. We push it hard here because it's cheap and because there's a whole industry based on it and because there's a fairly low incidence of lactose intolerance in the population. But none of those things make it better than mama's milk!

2 fun articles on nursing past one:
    When to Wean (discusses natural as opposed to cultural norms for weaning)
    Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits (a great read on the benefits of nursing longer!)