Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cows milk?!

Default cows milk?!

I was just wondering if cows milk is a dietary need or stage in the transition to solids or if it is just to help soften the blow of cutting BM or formula? I know that for some reason we are not a very socially accepting society to breastfeeding after the age of 1 and i cant help but suspect that the introduction of cows milk at this stage is just to help the weening process. My DS is sensitive (though I wouldnt say 'allergic') to lactose so I have cut it from my diet. I cant help but notice that i have become more energized and 'regular' since i have removed dairy. does cows milk serve a nutritious purpose to toddlers? I think based on my experience, that i would rather BF for an extra few months if it is just supposed to serve as a BM substitute. any ideas?
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in

Default Re: cows milk?!

this link might be helpful to you
    As long as your toddler is nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours you don't have to worry about milk subs.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

NO need to wean!

Default Re: cows milk?!

with Andrea. In many cultures (particularly in Asia), cow's milk is not a normal part of the human diet. We push it hard here because it's cheap and because there's a whole industry based on it and because there's a fairly low incidence of lactose intolerance in the population. But none of those things make it better than mama's milk!

2 fun articles on nursing past one:
    When to Wean (discusses natural as opposed to cultural norms for weaning)
    Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits (a great read on the benefits of nursing longer!)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"