Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could you please add to our "menu?"

Default Could you please add to our "menu?"

DD started solids (jarred food) at 6 months. Even back then, if I give her a tiny piece of banana & avocado, or anything that's not pureed, she'll gag. She's not choking on it, but she'll leave it on her tongue and gag She won't drink from a sippy cup or straw. I tried the straw the other day and she didn't know what to do with it
    Until now she's had: applesauce, banana, pear, peaches, butternut squash, green beans/peas, sweet potato, carrots, chicken & turkey in broth (which she'll gag on if not mixed w/something else). There's not too much variety in jarred foods The reason I do jarred is because I'm afraid of not preparing her foods correctly and making her sick to her tummy
    So, I'm looking for new things to give her that she can have fun with, enjoy and kind of prepare for "table food" in a couple months, and that are safe.

What are some other foods I could puree for her that aren't available in jars?
    When I give her new foods, do I still have to do the 4-day rule if she's 8 months old? How long do you do that for?

Please help us add to our "menu"
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; January 29th, 2010 at 08:37 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: Could you please add to our "menu?"

It looks to me like you have quite a variety for your daughter being only 8 months old! I wouldn't be too concerned with how much "solid food" she eats at her age, she's young and it's a learning thing. Can she pick up food off her tray herself? I would work on cutting up little pieces of food and putting it on her tray for her to feed herself. Don't push her, just offer it to her. She might do better with it if she can do it when she's ready. You could try mashing the food a little - like with a fork. This works well for bananas, avacado, sweet potato, etc. and she can pick up a little of the mashed food to try. And she's still young to really know how to drink out of a sippy cup. I'd just offer her one and she'll figure it out - my son figured it out from chewing on the sippy spout one day.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Not bad variety. DS was barely eating at 8 months. If you really want to keep on with purees just start pureeing what you are eating. You can get tiny little grinders to do little amounts for your baby.

Just so you know, the theory behind baby led solids (referred to here as BLS) says that a baby isn't ready to eat anything other than breast milk until the baby can eat "real" food without chocking or gagging (this site has a lot of really interesting information).

You are getting to the point where your breast milk is going to be providing less iron than your baby needs so it is good to introduce iron rich foods in the hopes that your baby will take to one or more. My preference is to introduce meat as the iron is more easily absorbed than it is from veggies. The WHO advises meat and liver.

You are doing just fine and your BM continues to provide your LO with so much that solids are mostly for play and learning for some time now
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

You could add some oatmeal to the purees to make them a bit more lumpy. My son hated the smooth purees, but enjoyed them with oatmeal. Making purees is really easy; I just take some meat, veggies, and a starch and put them in the cuisinart with some broth or vegetable cooking water. It's not as smooth as stage 1 or 2 foods, but John loves it. He especially enjoys different spices and flavors, like garlic.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

i agree, this sounds like a pretty broad spectrum. i just wanted to add, though, (since my DS also likes to put things on his toungue and gag, including fingers) that the mesh feeders worked well for us. i dont remember what brand makes them, but they have a large ringed handle that is easy to grab, and the mesh is not long enough to hit the gag reflex easily. i put bananas, avocado, carrots and frozen BM into them and DS loved it! also at least with the bananas and avocado, DS loved the taste so much that i was able to give him more (without the feeder) and he ate them well and fast enough not to gag! i think part of the gag reflex was his figuring out if he wanted to swallow or not and introducing foods through the feeder gave him that confidence. good luck with the rest of your food adventures!
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

You could try: blueberries, applesauce, plums, raisins.

I made my daughter's food for about 6 months. I bought an old fashioned hand cranked food mill and would bake/cook whatever I was going to puree for her and then crank it through the mill. I put it all in ice cube trays and froze it in freezer bags. Jarred foods are so expensive and this was a nice way to know exactly what she was eating.

I didn't follow BLS, but I do agree that babies aren't ready for solids if they gag or "choke" when offered food. She may not be ready yet. She's still getting most of her nutrition from you - take your time and follow her cues!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

You could also give her raw food. Raw is really best as far as actual nutrients go. A child that is experimenting with fresh raw fruits and veggies won't get sick and it's much less work for you.

Way too lazy for formula

I'll definitely try the mesh feeders, because I want to give her finger foods to explore with and bite on , but I'm afraid of her choking.
    I would love to give her raw foods Which ones are ok? The only one I know I should avoid for now are citrus fruits, right?
    How about grapes (peeled & seedless of course) in tiny pieces?
    Or a big stick of celery to bite?

I got a little nervous because I read that you should introduce a variety of foods to avoid developing allergies. That's why I tried everything in sight

Thanks so much for the suggestions
    I'm a SAHM to
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

careful with the celery! DS loved to chew on cold celery sticks -- great teether, i thought -- until he choked on a string. freaked me OUT.

there is a good book for making your own baby food by Ruth Yaron. Super Baby Foods, 2nd edition, i think. i don't agree with everything she says (she's very anti-meat, for one thing), but it's full of great information on how to prepare foods, how to store them, recipes, and other good stuff. i found a copy on Amazon for my cousin cause i loved it so much. making your own baby food is really easy and rewarding.
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommaefvie View Post
    careful with the celery! DS loved to chew on cold celery sticks -- great teether, i thought -- until he choked on a string. freaked me OUT.
    that's what I was worried about. I'll definitely look into that book, thanks mama.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13