Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over 20 gallons of frozen BM rancid :(

Default Over 20 gallons of frozen BM rancid :(

I have around 500 bags (we figure about 22 gallons) of stored breast milk in the deep freezer and pulled some out for the first time last week (I just went back to work). It is so bad that it tastes like stomach bile and burns your throat. I don't think I can ask my LO to drink it, I am on high blood pressure meds so I am not sure a milk bank will take it but I can't bring myself to toss it . I worked SOOO hard to build up a massive stash because my LO was born with chronic kidney disease and can't have regular formula.

I read the EXCELLENT lipase thread and am now scalding it at work after pumping. I didn't think to check it earlier because I didn't have a lipase issue with my first.

Anyone try using the bad tasting milk in other ways? Like after my LO is a year old, what about mixing it with milk so that he is at least still getting some BM? Or what about using it to make yogurt or cheese to give my LO? Or am I just going to have to suck it up and dump it all. I have been exclusively pumping for 4 months (LO started out in NICU and we never did master the latch) and I am not sure I can make it another 8+ while working.

Default Re: Over 20 gallons of frozen BM rancid :(

I'm so sorry. I'm not sure if the milk banks will take it, but I bet you can hide it in solids. My milk was the same way and I didn't find out until Lilah was about a year old. I think it was why she refused bottles at first!

Something you might be able to do with it later on is make yogurt smoothies with it- that may help temper the taste if you mix it with vanilla yogurt or something.

Why don't you think you can make it another 8 months while working? Is your work situation not conducive to pumping?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks Tracie for the hugs and ideas. I will make it another 8 months at least because that is what I have to do. I know I can do it, I am just feeling sad and angry and depressed about the whole thing and it has me a little down. I am very fortunate to have my own office and a VERY sympathetic and understanding boss (in fact my boss just told me he thought I should pump until DS is 2 because breast milk will be better for his kidneys than anything else I could give him to drink!).

I am just having a hard time readjusting my expectations about being able to stop pumping sooner. I just need to remind myself of why I am doing it and keep at it. I think I might go to a LLL meeting next month too to find some local support to help me keep going and maybe start trying to BF for his night feedings and on the weekends so I can avoid being hooked to the pump so much.

I think it would be great to try to get him latched on - and then you may readjust your pumping ideas after age one. It sounds like you have a wonderfully supportive boss! Mine is too.

It sounds funny now - but no matter when you decide to stop pumping, it will be a hard decision. At the outset it seems like you can't wait, but that time gets here sooner than you will think.

Have you seen any info on getting baby back to the breast? One thing that has made working ok for me emotionally is that I nurse Lilah as soon as I get home and then basically all night long... so I get to cuddle her at night even when I don't during the day.

Here's a link on getting baby latched back on - and there are stories around here if you dig around:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    It sounds funny now - but no matter when you decide to stop pumping, it will be a hard decision. At the outset it seems like you can't wait, but that time gets here sooner than you will think.
    I tell a firend of mine this all the time because she hates pumping. mommy2lilah is completely right that you will miss it one day because it is a part of you that you and you alone could give to your LO.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I know how you feel. My baby girl cries all night long and after every feeding if I have dairy. I have 100 oz + that is stored and I have no idea what to do with it. I can't throw it away. I made my husband throw away the milk in the frige just becasue I couldn't see all the hard work go down the drain. I hope you find something to do with it. Mixing it sounds like a great idea. Mix it with cerals and things like that. Keep your head up about pumping! Good luck!
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smiles View Post
    : have 100 oz + that is stored and I have no idea what to do with it. I can't throw it away.
    Donate it mama!! If you have that much milk that you can't feed your baby, I know *I* would surely try to donate it instead of just trashing it.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Same thing happened to me with DD2 (never had the problem with DD1 so I didn't know to check frozen milk). I cried and I dumped it all. Even mixing with cereal, it smelled terrible and DD2 wouldn't eat it. It hurt so much!

I am trying to donate it. None of the hospitals I called would take it. One lady from where I gave birth is trying to help me find a good home for my milk.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

I borrowed these links from Beth's (mommyoflance) siggy. She has donated EBM before. HTH!

http://www.hmbana.org/
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MilkShare/
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.