Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: But how much?

Post But how much?

Hello all !
    I am a new mommy to a 3 almost 4 mth old son. I exclusively bf him and getting ready to almost feeding him his first solid ... We are super excited... But i am confused on how much to mix in the rice cereal with bf ...the doc rushed me out before i had an time to think of what to ask about it .like how much , how many feedings should i switch out should i mix the rice cereal w/ bm ? any help or advice will be welcomed and appreciated!

Default Re: But how much?

Hmmm...I didn't start any solids with my DD until just after six months of age as recommended by the AAP which says that BM should be baby's only source of nutrition for at lead the first six months of life. Your baby sounds really young to be having solid food mama. Is there some reason that your doc recommended rice cereal? We didn't do cereal at all since it is so processed and BM has more calories and nutrition than any solid for out there. Your baby's gut is also not developed yet, and starting cereal this young could cause issues with food allergies. If I were you Mama, I would just hold off for now.

There are so many other exciting developmental milestones in these first few months...take your time and enjoy them! Baby will let you know when they are ready for solids by sitting up unassisted, reaching for/gumming your food, losing the tongue thrust reflex etc. There is plenty of time to start with complementary foods later on..

ETA: and to answer your second question, complementary foods (like rice cereal) should never replace a BM feed. Baby should always nurse before offering solid food. Solids should not start to replace any nursing sessions until at least a year of age.
    Last edited by @llli*jessruff; January 29th, 2010 at 04:47 AM.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

with Jess. She really gave some excellent advice!

Here are some links which may interest you on solids:
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    The American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk- note #10, which states that "Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life... and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection....Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.... Preterm and low birth weight infants and infants with hematologic disorders or infants who had inadequate iron stores at birth generally require iron supplementation before 6 months of age.... Iron may be administered while continuing exclusive breastfeeding....Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk."

If you read all that and still want to start solids, I wouldn't necessarily pick rice cereal- it's just pure starch with some added vitamins and minerals. You could offer avocado or veggies mixed with breastmilk instead, and give a dropper of Poly-Vi-Sol (or other brand) if you're concerned about your child's vitamin/mineral intake. Just make sure you give it in the bath- that stuff stains terribly!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks i dont mind bf exclusively at all... I was going to bf until teething anyways was just wondering about what to do with the rice cereal before i get to that stage....

The previous posters have given you great advice mama! Also wanted to add... is there any reason why you feel you will wean once your baby starts teething? Teething itself lasts years, and nursing is a great comfort to teething babies. And even though a baby has teeth, doesn't mean he will be using them on your nipples. As long as a baby is latched on properly, you will likely never feel his teeth. Just something to think about.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

was just wondering about what to do with the rice cereal before i get to that stage....
    Hmmm, how about leave it on the shelf?

If you decide to use cereal, start with a teaspoon or so per day, mixed really thin with lots of breastmilk. And while you can swap a nursing session (or bottle of formula) for solids, that's not something you want to do until the baby is around a year old. Breastmilk (or formula) has all the right stuff that a baby needs to grow. Solids are not nearly as balanced, so it's much harder to meet all a baby's nutritional needs with solid foods. Until the baby is around a year, nurse first, and then offer solids.

If you're intending to stop breastfeeding once teething begins, I'm with Buff- teething doesn't need to be the end of breastfeeding, because a baby who is latched on properly rarely bites. I nursed my kid for 3 years and only got nipped a couple of times.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

sorry to reply so late .... horrible memory ! but im thinkin of going back to work when he's one . and i cant seem to pump at all when i try to i lose milk producton by half ... ive tried teas but trying to help milk production without chemicals trying to keep it as natural as possible ... so i dont think ill be able to keep milk at home for him while working..

thanks everybody for all the help i appreciate it !!!