Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 months old and still no interest in solids

Default 8 months old and still no interest in solids

My DS just turned 8 months old and still has no interest in solids. I have tried pieces of soft food, pureed baby food, all kinds of fruits, veggies, etc and he is not interested. He is a very healthy 23lbs and still nurses frequently but I am getting worried that he is late to eat solid foods. Are there other things I should be trying or should I just wait for him to indicate that he wants to eat?

Default Re: 8 months old and still no interest in solids

My 9 mo DS isn't very interested in food either. He plays with what I give him but hardly ever eats anything. My pedi just said to keep offering finger foods to him and he'll eat when he's ready. I know he is getting all he needs from me
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

My kid didn't really get interested in solids until 14-15 months, and she did just fine. At 4, she eats a terrific diet- she's the only kid at her preschool who comes to school with salad and also actually eats it.

It's totally normal for an 8 month old to show very little interest in solid foods. At under a year, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They're not nutritionally necessary until after the first birthday, at which point the transition from needing only mama's milk to needing a ton of solids is a gradual one, with many babies not eating more than a token amount of solids well into their second year.

The only thing you should be doing is putting a variety of healthy food in front of your kid. If he eats some, great! If he just tastes it and spits it out, or just plays with it, that's fine, too, because even when the kid isn't actually swallowing he's still learning about solids. Don't stress and don't get sucked into the trap of offering junk food just because it's the only thing he'll eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Lulu is 10mos and is only now bringing things to her mouth.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nursingmom View Post
    My pedi just said to keep offering finger foods to him and he'll eat when he's ready.
    Awesome pediatrician! Definitely a keeper. Most pedis are really anxious when babies this age don't eat solids much.

For the OP, I'm another mom whose kids didn't show real interest in solids until 13 or 14 months. Since then, they have developed a hearty appetite for healthy foods (and junk food, too, since I'm being honest!!)

We did baby led solids and baby didn't show much interest in eating until around 8.5 mo.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Enjoy it mama! There's no hurry, you're giving your LO the best he can get! He'll do solids when he's ready
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10