Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! LO won't take bottle, sippy or straw cup

Default Help! LO won't take bottle, sippy or straw cup

DD will be 8 mo this week. I started back to work, part time, this month, and have had zero luck getting her to get milk in any way other than BFing. She's been eating solids since 6 mo, co-sleeps with me (and gets lots of milk at night that way). During the day with either DH or my parents, she'll eat the solids fine. But when it comes time to take some milk, she'll play with bottles & cups of many kinds, but as soon as she gets a sip of my milk from them, she'll reject them all outright.

I work most of the time from home, so I can hear when she's really fussing for milk, and usually give in rather than "wait it out" as I keep getting advised to do. Also, since I'm part time, we aren't trying these tactics every day, mainly because I thought it needed to come from other caretakers (DH and my parents), rather than from me.

Even though I work from home now, that will change soon. Not to mention I'd love the relief of being able to leave the house and not worrying that DD won't get the milk she needs til I get back.

Advice out there? Have we missed the boat to get her to take milk other than BFing? Should I be trying different approaches, cups, etc? Doing something everyday - myself, or with the caretakers? Stop feeding her solids until she takes the milk somehow other than from me? Give her the cup with water in them to get her used to drinking out of them (I've never given her water before, is that ok to do)? Not worry about it and let her go all day without milk, since she cosleeps and might get what she needs at night?

Last note - we did get her to take bottles at around 2 mo, but due to a variety of reasons (just me home alone a lot, some hiccups with nursing), we didn't continue using bottles. Hence, the challenge we're now in.

Sigh. If you have any suggestions, please let me know....

Default Re: Help! LO won't take bottle, sippy or straw cup

My baby only wants to drink out of cups she sees me drinking out of. You could experiment with a little water in a cup, demonstrating how much fun you have drinking out of a cup, so she wants to imitate you. Or her other caretakers could demonstrate cups for her. That could get her used to the cup concept, and you could try breastmilk in the cup later. (At 15 months, I still don't give my baby complete control of a cup, since I don't want it all over the floor, but I help her hold it.)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassymom View Post
    I can hear when she's really fussing for milk, and usually give in rather than "wait it out" as I keep getting advised to do.
    Who is advising you to do this? Why? I feed my baby as soon as she asks for milk. I don't want to train her that she has to make a big fuss to get the milk she needs.

I'd love the relief of being able to leave the house and not worrying that DD won't get the milk she needs til I get back.
    I go out all the time. I just take my baby with me. Do you have a good baby carrier? There are various styles here:
    http://www.thebabywearer.com/
    I have a moby wrap, which I can nurse in as I run errands.

we did get her to take bottles at around 2 mo, but due to a variety of reasons (just me home alone a lot, some hiccups with nursing), we didn't continue using bottles. Hence, the challenge we're now in.
    Hence, the good nursing relationship you're now in. Giving more bottles might have caused nipple confusion, and your baby might have refused to nurse. That would have been a much harder challenge than this. Don't worry; all babies in the history of the world (except ones with serious developmental problems, and you would know if your baby had one of those) have eventually learned to drink from something other than their mother's breasts. This is a developmental stage that all babies pass through.

Default Re: Help! LO won't take bottle, sippy or straw cup

My pediatrician told me that some babies will drink other fluids from cups, bottles, etc but they know where BM should come from and won't take it from other places. I know this doesn't help you at all, because it did not help me at all. But it made a lot of sense. So I figured I'd share.
    Proud Mom of Guinevere Rose 7/11/09.
    We are loving this whole new world!