Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: finger food

Default finger food

Hi, my son will be 8 months on Saturday and is doing well with little peices of banana and other friuts and veggies. I was thinking about giving him Cherioes broken into peices to pick up and eat but was wondering if he is old enought for that? Any thoughts? Also, what kind of toast strips could I give him, I want to avoid eggs and wheat for now. He is allergic to dairy and I have cut dairy and eggs from my diet. I would appreciate any suggestions. He only eats if he can feed himself.

Default Re: finger food

If you are avoiding wheat, you don't want to give him cheerios. If you can find a wheat free alternative though he's almost certainly ready to try something like that. My little man liked rice or corn chex (which is wheat and gluten free). Rice or quinoa pasta is a good treat and usually a favorite.

You can also give him any kinds of fruit or veggie. Things with built in handles are great, like broccoli florets, sweet potato "fries" cooked in the oven, apple "fries", pear slices (these are good cause they are really soft and mushable), steamed carrot sticks, etc.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My baby likes feeding herself beans and pieces of cooked carrot. Also, she loves chewing raw celery sticks.

I tried some sweet potato fries he had fun with that. He spit a lot out but had a blast. Also thanks for the Cheerio info. The box doesn't say they contain wheat so I missed that one. I am going to buy some Rice chex at the store tomorrow. Does anyone have any thoughts on Rice Crispies cereal? I am also going to do the cooked carrot peices because he doesn't like them mashed up either.

Well the rice krispies have malt flavoring, which has gluten. I skipped them when I was avoiding wheat just because I decided to avoid all gluten (just in case). Also they have a lot of sugar and high fructose corn syrup that I didn't want my little man to have. You might do better with something like puffed rice.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My DD LOVED rice cakes at that age. You can get them where the only ingredient is whole grain brown rice too Puffed rice is good too and very cheap.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Sorry to be a pain but do you know the brand names of puffed rice or cakes. I can't seem to find anything at the store that I'm sure of and don't want to take any chances. Thanks so much! The finger foods are going well, today though he sneezed carrot all over me. I'm not sure which of us laughed harder. He is actually having fun eating. I'm still nursing before I offer solids. He has a dairy intolerance/allergy (I cut it out of my diet) and I plan to breastfeed for a long time to avoid any issues. I just worry about him eating too much. It is so hard to find a balance.

Quaker no salt rice cakes...look at the ingredients it should only say "whole grain brown rice" or something like that - only ONE ingredient.

For the puffed rice...sorry I don't remember the brand, but it's with the bagged cereal - not the boxes. Same thing - only ONE ingredient "puffed rice" that's it HTH. Check w/ the organic stuff too.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thanks so much for all the advice. My son loves rice chex and squeals with delight at breakfast. Is it okay to give them for breakfast every morning? I also am offering him the steamed veggies and cooked fruit slices at dinner. He is much happier now feeding himself. I don't even attempt using a spoon. He finger paints on his tray a lot but is eating some and nursing well. He is much happier!