Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping less effective..?

Default Pumping less effective..?

My pump does not seem to be working as effective as it was. I was painfully engorged tonight and was only able to get 2 ounces. I don't know if i have just gotten used to the way the pump feels but it just doesn't seem to be sucking (for lack of a better word) very hard. It occasionally makes a weird sound when I press the let down button.

Oh I have a Medela Pump In style, bought 4 months ago but have only started using it frequently for the last month. Any suggestions!?
    Crystal

First time mommy to Kylie Grace 9/29/09

Birth: 5 lbs 15 ozs
    take home: 5 lbs 10 ozs
    1 week: 6 lbs 5 ozs
    2 weeks: 6 lbs 14 ozs
    2 Months: 9 lbs 12 ozs
    4 Months: 12 lbs 11 ozs

Began only but now and loving every minute!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: Pumping less effective..?

Has the tubing pulled off a little? Or what about the knob that controls suction...sometimes my PISA knob would get pulled out and mess with suction.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Check the little white flaps, mine get holes in them and that will make the pump's suction less effective. You can buy replacements at Toys R Us. Hth!

Tara

If PPs suggestions don't work, contact Medela. They have awesome customer service and will either repair or replace your pump if it's not working properly.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

I had a similar problem w/ my PISA and called Medela. They end up sending me new tubing, valves, & membranes. I guess these parts had just gotten to worn because the pump worked well again when I switched them out.
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !