Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fast flow bottle?

Default Fast flow bottle?

Well, after a couple of weeks of experimenting with supplementing (I'm preggo), she totally went for a bottle tonight. Well, she went for what was in it. She was trying hard to suck on the bottle but it seemed it wasn't coming out fast enough, at times she seemed to gag like it was too deep (she does this with a paci now and she used to love to take one as a newbie) so I am not sure. Wound up feeding her with the syringe and she downed what I gave her pretty fast. I am thinking we might need to try a fast flowing bottle. Any suggestions? This is such new territory for me...

Current bottle is a Dr. Brown's, I thought with what was a fast flow nipple but I can't be sure.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Default Re: Fast flow bottle?

I HATE the Dr. Brown's Bottles. I've worked at a daycare and cared for kids in my home and every experience I've had with that bottle seems like it takes FOREVER...even with a fastflow nipple.

I really like the Playtex nursers with the latex nipple instead of the silicone. Joey liked those, the nipples were soft, and they were easy to use.

I also have a few Avent bottles and like those. I'd probably try a fast flow nipple in another brand. I bet she'd take it.

What did you end up supplementing her with?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Leslie you have been great, thanks so much.

I'll post an update on my other thread. My response to you was getting long so I guess I needed to vent a little. And who knows if it will be helpful to another.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Thought I'd bump this again real quick to see if there are any other suggestions. I guess I am off to the store in a bit....

Misty

Blogging here.

We use the Playtex nursers with a silicone nipple, and DS takes them great.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Another vote for the Playtex nursers.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

I use only Dr.Brown's and learned that there is a P,1,2, or 3 nipple. The Preemie P is slowest flow and I used it from birth to about 3 months. Then I switched to the level 1 nipple. Now my DD is one and she is using the Level 3. You need to make sure you are using the right flow...good luck!

We use Born Free bottles when we give breast milk bottles and we love them, but what I notcied was that when my husband was trying to feed her to let me sleep in the first weeks we can home from the hospital was that she wasn't eating anything, only crying and fussing, and i wasn't getting any sleep because he would end up bringing her back to me, after sitting with him through a feeding one night, we realkized that the nipple was way too slow so she was getting frustrated and giving up. At first I was apprehensive about giving her a faster flowing nipple, but even the packaging says that hungrier babies need faster nipples, once we switched to a faster nipple we were rolling.