Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much/how often when working part time

Question How much/how often when working part time

I'm a first-time mama to a 7 1/2 month old baby girl, who works 3-4 days a week while she's in daycare. We started solids at about 5 months, and are now doing 2 meals a day. I have to BF her at 5am (work at 6), then we do cereal (mixed with BM)/fruit at 9ish, nurse (when I'm home) or bottle (usually ~2oz) at 10ish, then another nurse/bottle (4oz) at 1 or 2pm, then nurse at 4:30 or 5pm, then cereal/veggie at 7pm, nurse at 8pm and to bed she goes (sleeps through the night). Are we getting enough BM here? Nursing her is maybe 10 minutes MAX, but sometimes only 5 minutes! Usually solid servings are about 1/4 cup. Daycare says we should do breakfast, lunch & dinner solids, but she'll do whatever I say. Sis-in-law says it's bad to feed (whether solids or BM) more often than 3 1/2 to 4 hours cause it doesn't give the gastrointestinal system "time to relax". Plus when I work I can only pump anywhere from 5 to 8 ounces, not always enough for her needs (including amount for cereal), so I sometimes have to mix cereal with formula.

Should I be revising schedule to more of a 4-hour one? I don't want my supply to drop anymore than it already has. Should I add another solid meal or not? P.S. she's currently 75th percentile weight and 50th height.

Thank you!
    Last edited by @llli*wanna.be.at.home; January 26th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Married to my best friend mommy to my first sweet girl (6/10/09)
    most of the time, a few days a week

Default Re: How much/how often when working part time

I don't think you really need a third meal at 7 months. My son is just a few days away from 9 months and still just gets 2 meals, but I will probably add a third very soon. We actually had to limit back a bit of his solids because my little guy loves to eat and would refuse bottles if full on food. It's important to always try milk first. Every baby, parent and situation is different, but below is a typical solid meal schedule for my son while at "school." Also below is a link to sample menus I found helpful.

9-10 am: 3-4 tbsp cereal w/ milk, 1/8 cup whole milk yogurt, 2oz. fruit
    1-2 pm: 1/8 cup yogurt, 2 oz fruit, 2oz veggie or meat/veggie mix

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/sol...ntholdbaby.htm
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !