Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I feel like giving up

Unhappy I feel like giving up

I don't know what to do...my DD is 7 months old and has been a bfing baby since day 1...she has had no nipple confusion, and no problem with me working...I'm a cosmetologist and work sometimes 11 hrs a day....my boss is great and very supportive with me pumping at work, it's just that I don't get much time to do it....my dd goes through so much milk that I am completly out now...I just can't keep up with her demands unless I'm home and can just nurse her....I want to give up, I'm stressed enough with going back to work after 6 years, paying bills, trying to find a new place to live and keeping up with her momma juice demands is making me feel like a HORRIBLE mommy...my goal is to bf her till she was atleast a year old....I don't want to let her or myself down...any help would be greatly appreicated...
    Mommy to 3 wonderful children:

Hailey 9yo Bfed for 3 mo (07/22/2000)Corey 4yo Bfed for 17mo (03/12/2005)Sanda 3 mo Bfing and going strong (06/25/2009)

Default Re: I feel like giving up

I am sorry things are rough for you right now. I have a question. If youre interested in building up more supply - is it possible for you to pump while you nurse?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE.

"A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three."
    Grantly Dick-Read

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLEme View Post
    I am sorry things are rough for you right now. I have a question. If youre interested in building up more supply - is it possible for you to pump while you nurse?
    Yea I tried that...but since she is 7 mo when I do that, she is more interested in what's going on then nursing....so I gave up on that....

Hailey 9yo Bfed for 3 mo (07/22/2000)Corey 4yo Bfed for 17mo (03/12/2005)Sanda 3 mo Bfing and going strong (06/25/2009)

First of all mama, . I went through the same thing. I am also gone 11 hours 4x/week. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm proof of that. I too didn't have the opportunity to pump as often as I needed to and so I struggled to keep up with L's demand. Have you tried adding a pumping session or two at night after LO goes to bed? This could help to make the extra you lack. Also, there is milkshare or you could buy from a milk bank and supplement with that. I spent a bunch of time here when I was going through all this and honestly, in the end *I* personally, couldn't keep up. I have two other children and a husband who need me and it was unrealistic for me to pump all night long. I ended up supplementing with one bottle of formula a day (sometimes less since she eats solids regularly). I really struggled with that, but in the end it came down to me maintaining and doing what was best for ME and my family. I did this for the latter part of her first year and we now no longer on formula, strictly BM. I hope everything works out for you mama, we are all here for you!
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    Have you tried adding a pumping session or two at night after LO goes to bed?
    courtnidge gave an excellent suggestion! You could also try herbal remedies which can help increase supply: fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and oatmeal are all good.

If that doesn't work, breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing- check out this link on partial weaning and combination feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Momma!

I think you got some great ideas from the pps. I would definitely consider milkshare or partial weaning.

One other thing - I found that I had a lot of milk in the a.m. Maybe it would help to pump first thing in the morning too.

Hang in there! It's hard enough to be a mom...dont beat yourself up!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks ladies your support has been very helpful and needed....I will not give up on giving my dd whats best for her...I love the bond we have and the time we spend together when I get home from work...thanks again ladies for your encouraging words and support...I have been using fuengreek and alfalfa today I finally got 4 oz out when I pumped today when I got home...

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brittany2224 View Post
    Thanks ladies your support has been very helpful and needed....I will not give up on giving my dd whats best for her...I love the bond we have and the time we spend together when I get home from work...thanks again ladies for your encouraging words and support...I have been using fuengreek and alfalfa today I finally got 4 oz out when I pumped today when I got home...
    That's awesome! You can do this Momma! Just take it one day at a time!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut