Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exclusively pumping right now and need to get out of the house!!

Default Exclusively pumping right now and need to get out of the house!!

I am exclusively pumping right now and rarely leave my home. Sometimes it just seems easier not to. Between pumping, cleaing the pump stuff, getting bottles ready and taking care of my LO and self and home, the thought of getting away for awhile is daunting. I want to take my LO and do a few things but I get overwhelmed by the idea of making it all work. I am so afraid that I will miss a pumping and my supply will decrease and there will go my chances at ever bfing again. Probably being a touch dramatic. What about going to friends house? Should I take my pump with or is that not good etiquette I think that I may be doing this for awhile and if bfing doesn't work I want to continue puming for as long as I can so that my LO can get the benefits. However, I still want to see other people once in awhile, as well as keep my spirits up, I don't want to just become a slave to the pump. Just looking for some advice from someone who has maybe felt the same way.

Default Re: Exclusively pumping right now and need to get out of the house!!

I haven't ever exclusively pumped, but here are my thoughts.

First, totally bring your pump over to your friend's house! They wouldn't mind you nursing your baby right? If this is what you need to do right now, then do it! If they don't understand, go visit someone else.

Second - are you washing pump parts every time? What about just throwing them in the fridge and then wash them every other time, or once a day even?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes I was washing my pump parts every time but now that I know it's ok to just stick them in the fridge I am definintely going to start doing that. Thanks for the suggestions, it is amazing how just a few little tweaks can make things that much easier, so again, many thanks to those who are willing to share their thoughts and experiences with a new mom who is learning as she goes!

Sigh. Being tied to the pump and finding private places to pump are some of the biggest challenges that exclusively pumping moms face.

I think whether or not you bring your pump over to your friend's house depends on the friend: if you explain the situation and she says "Of course, bring it and I'll hold the baby while you pump," then you bring it. If she says "Uh, that's kind of gross and I'd appreciate it if you didn't," then she's not the friend you thought she was and you should decide whether or not seeing her would be worth the price of going out and pumping in the car.

One thing that helped me when I was EPing was to keep a big basin full of soapy water next to the sink. Instead of washing stuff as it was used, I just chucked them in the basin and did one big wash-up once a day. I thought that was easier than doing a million small washing-up jobs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I bring my pump with me to my friends' houses. They're glad I did! They would rather me bring my pump and slink away for a few minutes than not come see them!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

I EP with a 10 week old and haven't had a problem with getting out. I've gone from pumping every 2 hours in the first month to every 4-5 now which gives me a huge window for getting out. I did pump in the parking lot once while Xmas shopping (used one of the nursing wraps) and I took my pump to my parents and in-laws and they totally understand. I haven't seen any decrease in my supply, I'm consistantly pumping 1 ounce per hour and have gone up to nine hours (LO is sleeping through the night)

Try stretching out your pumping and "testing" the amount you get. I started a log last week to track my output because I go back to work in two weeks.

That is a great idea. Right now if I go 2 hours, I get 3 oz, somtimes more. I go for about 5 hrs overnight and get 7 oz when I pump next. So far my output has been pretty consistent so I think I will try stretching it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamamountin View Post
    That is a great idea. Right now if I go 2 hours, I get 3 oz, somtimes more. I go for about 5 hrs overnight and get 7 oz when I pump next. So far my output has been pretty consistent so I think I will try stretching it out. Thanks!
    Just stay flexible! Stretching out your pumping intervals can reduce supply, so if you notice a decrease, be prepared to make those intervals shorter again.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I felt the same way. I couldn't leave and when I did I would watch the clock. It sucked at first, but soon started to pump every 2.5 hours on so on until I got up to 4 hours and can go out and do something.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

I so know how you feel! I have been EPing for 8.5 months now. Trying to stretch out time between pumpings should work especially if you have established a pretty good supply. Around 2-3 months, I was pumping 7-8x per day, but dropped this to 5-6x at 4-5 months. I think I was still getting 30-35 oz per day pumping 5x.

Definitely pack up that pump and go do something fun! I wish I had gotten out a bit more in the early months. You get used to just doing what you have to do for your baby I have pumped in my car (with the car sun shade around me), riding in the back seat on a road trip, in too many Target and airport bathrooms to count, and in Panera while my co-workers ate lunch during some work travel. Friends should be proud of the work and dedication you have to being a great mom!!!

I also keep a bowl next to the sink and usually do a quickie soapy rinse of my pump parts. Having a couple extra sets of parts is nice so you can throw them in the dishwasher too. Keep it up...it does get easier
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !