Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stimulation

Default stimulation

okay.. so i'm bf, then using the SNS, then pumping.. making sure i don't go more than 3 hrs without stimulation for my milk suppy (accept at night, cause my LC says i need all the sleep i can get to be rested and relaxed as this in turn with also help my supply). so i'm having maybe a 5 hr stretch at night. what i'm wondering is.. because my little one will nurse in between, and i'm not sure if i can count it as a full feeding only cause i don't know how much she is getting.... and sometimes she's just comfort nursing to go to sleep... she won't be hungry again necessarily on that 2-3 hr schedule, but should i worry cause i'm getting the stimulation from her anyways? in other words, if she eats at 1 (bf + 3 oz form) then wants to nurse at 2... and i'm thinking she needs to eat again before 4.. should i really aim for before 5 since the nursing at 2 bumps it up?

Default Re: stimulation

I read a little more about your background on your other post. Is there any way you can rent a scale? That may really help to see how much your little one is getting.

How much can you pump immediately after breastfeeding?

where would i try and rent a scale from? i pump anywhere from 1/2 oz - 1 oz. after nursing and then using the SNS, so i'm hoping she's getting a lot from me.. but then again she does polish off the formula. i just spoke with my LC and she didn't sound too confident that i can build my supply, she told me i can always have a bf relationship, but i'll just have to supplement. i don't like that answer. but what more can i do?

Basically the goal is to get your baby to nurse as much as possible to contribute to building up your supply. So if she eats at 1 and 2 and then is hungry enough to eat at 4, that's great! Don't try to hold her off until 5. My 9-month old is still nursing every two hours or so.

I remember that I went through lots of similar calculations when I was first starting out, as working according to a schedule can be very confusing when the babies don't conform to it. But you should think of 3 hours as the outer limit, and if she wants to nurse more than that, so much the better.

You might want to check out the forum here on increasing milk supply, you'll probably find lots of suggestions from other moms dealing with similar issues.

Hang in there! You're doing a great thing for your daughter.

Ann

i'm not trying to put her on a schedule, its just that with the formula she doesn't always want to eat that often and i know i need the stimulation at the very least every 3 hours. so when she falls asleep, i want to make sure she doesn't go too long.

before the pediatrician ordered formula, i had already been doing all of the other things that are supposed to increase your supply. allowing her to nurse on cue.. which was usually every hour.... sometimes more often, i'm co-sleeping, holding her skin to skin, carrying her around in a sling, switch nursing, you name it. unfortunately it wasn't enough. now with the formula, i'm confused as to how i'll ever be able to match what she's drinking.

but i am still putting her to the breast first as soon as she signals, even if she only wants me as a pacifier.. then if its not enough i go to the SNS. i just want it to work.

hi,
    i understand you. i do the same thing. i put her in both breasts, she able to latch on the left then i put her in the right with nipple shield - the last days the pain was too much - i can't figure why-i think she latches on well- but it seems that it's never enough. so after i give her a bottle with ebm everytime . i'm so depressed of this but my hubby says that after what i've been through it is a miracle that i never gave her formula.
    keep going.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood -- didn't mean to be irritating and repeat what you already know. You've got it tough enough already without people like me preaching at you. Hope you take a look at the "Increasing milk" forum -- you may find others in similar situations. Good luck, I hope you can build supply and in the meantime don't downplay the good effects of the bf relationship with your daughter!

Annie