Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pumping frustration

Default pumping frustration

Ugh - I've been through this before so I know I'll get through it again. But right now am soooo frustrated with pumping!

Started out with over supply & tapered back. Was doing great with pumping but then got sick and supply crashed.

Built supply back up.

Got sick again.

Supply crashed.

I've got a little stash in the freezer but I don't want to dip into it because that won't help my boddy get caught up again.

Off to have MORE water!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: pumping frustration

I know your frustration, knock on wood that I am not totally experiencing it this go around, but I was always frustrated with pumping for ds.

Have you tried: Mother's Milk tea? Pumping and then taking a couple minute break and then pumping again for a couple minutes? Doing the "mom" rock while pumping?

Sorry if these aren't helpful, but they worked for me at various times.
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Yeah - BTDT with pumping for DS1. Doing all the tricks. Letting baby nurse as much as he wants when we're together. Just impatient waiting the couple of days it takes for one's body to build up more supply. Sigh.
    Lynn

Are you taking fenugreek? I just went through my first supply crash, and after a week of taking fenugreek my supply is BETTER than before I was sick.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Lyn.

Pumping can be so hard sometimes. I agree with the mother's milk tea. And also, though TOTALLY easier said than done, try and relax. You'll pump out enough. If you have to dip into your stash, dip into it. You'll build it up again.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Yeah! I've been staying healthy and the boobs are back in order. I FINALLY got caught up and even ahead a little so I've been able to also do some pumping for donation.

Now just need to STAY healthy!
    Lynn

i'm back to work, my son is 5-months. i'm pumping and nursing frequently but my milk supply seems to continue to decrease. was pumping out at least 6oz each session, now down to 2 oz. ob/gyn gave prescription for reglan, should i try mother's milk tea instead?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tkrm17 View Post
    i'm back to work, my son is 5-months. i'm pumping and nursing frequently but my milk supply seems to continue to decrease. was pumping out at least 6oz each session, now down to 2 oz. ob/gyn gave prescription for reglan, should i try mother's milk tea instead?
    I would try Mothers Milk Tea in addition too the Reglan. Maybe some Oatmeal in the morning too. Can't hurt. Then if you start to over produce you can cut back a little.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tkrm17 View Post
    The reglan made me so tired i hated it and it didnt work for me. The mothers tea and real steal cut oats that you have to cook helped me go from 2.5 oz to 4 or 4.5 oz a pumping. But I pump for a long time. 30-40 min. Good Luck i know how frustrating it can be. I watch mine amount like a hawk and try not to worry.

So glad things are improving! I was always on the supply see-saw with DD1 and didn't even have a freezer stash, so I understand the anxiety! Keep up the good work!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on