Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: started solids and 6m/o seems in great pain!!!

Default started solids and 6m/o seems in great pain!!!

Hi! I have a 6 month old and started solida last week but am having problems because he seems to be in great pain with apparently gases and much harder than normal stools. I started with cabbage for 2 1/2 days but discontinued it because by the 3rd day he would wake up crying with apparently belly pain. Then gave him zucchini for 3 days and he seemed fine. Then gave him peas for 3 days and he started having problems passing gas and stools, as these became much harder. Now I have been giving him sweet potatos for 2 days and he is once again waking up in pain and refuses to eat. What should I do? Is it a coincidence that the 2 vegetables that appear to have had the worst reaction are both orange? I should also mention that his anal area is more burned than normal and that he suffered from reflux from birth up until about 4 months and I had to give him Zantac and Maalox until then. Is this reflux again? What is going on?? Please help me! I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me!!! Thanks!!

Default Re: started solids and 6m/o seems in great pain!!!

Mama I would think about slowing down on the solids for now until his system calms down. He's just 6 mos right? Cabbage is a gas producing food and sweet potatoes constipated my son too. The burning redness of the anus could indicate an allergy even. Maybe shelve the solids and nurse nurse nurse for a bit. Then start again slower? The zucchini seemed to work well so maybe you could start there? You might also want to space out the food a little more so that you know what he is for sure reacting to. Maybe instead of 3 days you could go 4 or 5 or even a week? My LO has a really sensitive system and I am going really slow with him.

Is he still constipated mama? How long has it been since he was able to poop? Is he straining? You might also call your pedi for a stool softener if he doesn't start going easier.

Take a deep breath mama. My son is 8 months and still not really into solids. It really is an experiment for the first 6 or so months. All the nutrition he needs is coming from your milk. Hang in there.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I totally agree with the previous poster: There's no rush for him to start eating solids . Maybe wait a month and try again, when his system's a little more mature. And since your little guy seems to have a sensitive stomach, you might want to introduce just one new food every week or so.

Does he seem interested in food? Does he try to grab food off your plate to eat? If not, he's not ready for solids.

Hi! I'm sorry I took so long to reply but I'm new to this and I thought no one had responded to my post bc I thought I would get an email when someone responded! Anyway, I have been continuing to try different vegetables every 3 days (I hadn't read your posts suggesting that I stay with the same vegetable for a longer time) and so far he has had no problems with: zucchini, butternut squash, yellow squash, kale, But he has had problems (gas, pain, and a real strain to poop) with pumpkin, peas, sweet potatoes, and asparragus. He is going to be 7 months next week and I was thinking about sticking with the vegetables he has had no problem with and maybe starting some fruits then? maybe papaya, prunes, and bananas? what do you suggest? He seems so ready to eat because he gets desperate every time he sees us having food! He definitely wants to be in the action...

i agree with previous posters about a longer waiting period in between, and with the fact that cabbage can cause gas, even in adults. i would stay away from anything that tends to do that, including asparagus, unfortunately, since that is such a tasty vegetable!

when we started DS, we were doing a 7-day wait between new foods. you don't want to overwhelm their little systems!
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/