Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to mix milk?

Default Is it ok to mix milk?

i don't pump alot of bm. My little lady gets about 3/4 (on a good day) to about 1/2 bm and the rest formula. I breastfeed all weekend since I'm not away from her. I pump at night at least twice if she doesn't wake up. I mix the milk from Friday with the milk from Saturday night and Sunday night. She drinks this bm on Monday. I've been doing this for a while now but am wondering is it okay?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Is it ok to mix milk?

I've always understood that it is okay, but you have to date it was the oldest date. Like in that case it would be dated for the oldest date, Friday. In your case since she drinks it all Monday it's not an issue but if it has to sit around for a week you'd have to freeze it or use it by the next Friday.

well that's good to know. I was confused because someone told me it wasn't good.

Thanks!

make sure that both "samples" are the same temp before mixing them

There are some concerns about mixing warm milk with cold, which is what the concerns you heard about mixing samples from different days might be based on. I think the issue is that if you keep pouring warm milk into cold, the milk isn't really cold much of the time, so it will go bad sooner. I am not an expert, but I've looked around and haven't seen any other reason to be concerned about mixing warm and cold. So probably if you're doing it and using it within a couple days, it's not a big deal. It's better to mix cold to cold. But I personally wouldn't warm milk up just to mix it with another batch that's warm, and it is really difficult to combine milk that is refrigerated, because the fat sticks to the sides of the container. Just my opinion.

I mix milk all the time to make bottles, but usually all milk has been refridgerated or thawed in the fridge. When storing milk in the fridge, I usually just keep the bottles in order so I am always cycling through the supply within a few days. I have also mixed fresh and refridgerated milk in a bottle, but only when feeding with the bottle right away...not storing again. The main idea is to be able to track the age of the milk and keep it cold once stored.
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

I mix all my milk and have for a while. I use three glass jars and pour in fresh milk into the milk pumped from the time before. I really don't see too much of a problem for it because the cold milk can't be getting that hot. I guess its what you feek comfortable with.
    My little surprise born 2 December 2009 7 lbs 1 oz 20 inches.

Our goal is 1 year, but I'm willing to go 2!

Hey ladies,

Do you think its Ok to store milk from an all day pumping in the fridge and then freeze it the next day? I am going back to work 4/5 and only get a little BM at each pumping so I have to pump all day to get one full feeding. I have started taking Funegreek and milk thistle and I think its helping a little but am only into my 3rd day taking them. So I am really worried I won't have enough milk for my little girl stock piled before I start back to work.

Katelloydhttp://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html here is a good site that alot of people refer to on here.... I personally have done that before though...... hth!!
    Last edited by @llli*rubestersmommy; March 28th, 2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

I will let freshly expressed milk cool off for an hour or so @ room temp before adding it to refrigerated milk. That way it isn't exactly warm when I add it.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos