Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do with FULL breast???

Default What to do with FULL breast???

I'm block feeding in four hour increments. Before putting Cecilia on the "full" breast for the first time after four hours, I've been pumping to help relieve some of the fullness, and also to help with the huge letdown. Doesn't seem to be working. She still screams like crazy.

I've only been doing the four hour blocks since yesterday. Will the fullness go away after another day or so? I wonder how this is helping with OALD when it's worse in the fuller breast?????
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Default Re: What to do with FULL breast???

Stop pumping! By doing that you're telling your breasts you still need that milk. And you certainly need more than a day for block feeding to work. Our little ones often take a day "off" from eating, so our bodies don't overreact from it, we keep producing until we are sure that we need to make less. I would feed off of the same breast until it's "empty", so to speak. That may be 2-3 feedings on the same side. And you need to do it for at least 3 days to see any difference. I know the breast that hasn't been used can start to get really engorged and have a powerful let down. I might just do some hand compressions into a towel to soften, but don't pump out any significant amount. It will get better. I had such a huge supply, I could get 8 ounces from each side when my little preemie was only 3 months and 6 pounds . But I eventually got it to meet her needs.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Stop pumping! By doing that you're telling your breasts you still need that milk. And you certainly need more than a day for block feeding to work. Our little ones often take a day "off" from eating, so our bodies don't overreact from it, we keep producing until we are sure that we need to make less. I would feed off of the same breast until it's "empty", so to speak. That may be 2-3 feedings on the same side. And you need to do it for at least 3 days to see any difference. I know the breast that hasn't been used can start to get really engorged and have a powerful let down. I might just do some hand compressions into a towel to soften, but don't pump out any significant amount. It will get better. I had such a huge supply, I could get 8 ounces from each side when my little preemie was only 3 months and 6 pounds . But I eventually got it to meet her needs.
    Thanks! I've only been pumping about an ounce, sometimes two, just before feeding. I *can* get about an ounce per minute for up to 10 minutes at any given time, each breast.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Try manually expressing instead so that you get relief but don't tell your body to make more in the process. It does take a while before you see a change, but it'll happen mama.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

That's the point of block feeding- to let your breast get full so it sends the signal to your body to slow down milk production. Definitely pump just a tiny amount to relieve the discomfort if you need to, but try not to pump too much or you'll be defeating the purpose of the block feeding. It should take a few days to a week for your body to get the message and if it doesn't work in that wmount of time, try longer blocks.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    Try manually expressing instead so that you get relief but don't tell your body to make more in the process. It does take a while before you see a change, but it'll happen mama.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    That's the point of block feeding- to let your breast get full so it sends the signal to your body to slow down milk production. Definitely pump just a tiny amount to relieve the discomfort if you need to, but try not to pump too much or you'll be defeating the purpose of the block feeding. It should take a few days to a week for your body to get the message and if it doesn't work in that wmount of time, try longer blocks.
    Thanks ladies! I am beginning to see a slight change in supply, but the letdown is still really, really strong. She still pops off the breast and fusses a little, but I guess it's improving, because she no longer screams. I've tried lying back to nurse her, but she nearly smothers in my big boobs! She prefers to nurse in the sling, so that's what we do.

How soon will I notice a change in the poo? We are getting some yellow back, and it's not as water, but it is still mostly green, and very, very mucusy. She has a ton of food allergies, so I guess the mucus could be related to that as well. (that is something we are constantly working on!!!)
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and