Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopping night feedings

Default Stopping night feedings

I have a 13 mo old son Jaime. I love breasfeeding it's the best! I work full-time and during his first yr I pumped 3x a day. I stopped pumping when he turned a yr gradually. My son still wakes up at least 1 or 2 times at night to nurse! He sometimes sleeps thru the night but very rarely. I want to stop the night feedings because I am soooo exhausted when I wake up. If I didn't have to work I wouldn't mind it so much. Any advise on how to make him sleep thru the night? Please, I want my sleep!

Default Re: Stopping night feedings

A method I've read about is to decrease the length of time you feed DB at night. So if you usually nurse him for 15min, tomorrow nurse him for 14min everytime he wakes, the next night for 13min, etc. When you get to three minutes, the advice is to not nurse, but to let him cry/fuss for a few minutes, go in comfort, leave, repeat as needed. It's also helpful if Dad or the non-nursing parent, if you have one of those, be the one to go in and comfort so DB isn't beeing "teased" by smelling you nearby.

Default Re: Stopping night feedings

Have you seen Elizabeth Pantley's new book, "The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers"? Might be worth checking out!

FWIW, night weaning may not necessarily influence your baby to sleep through the night. Night weaning him may prove to only make it more difficult to get him back to sleep once he's woken up, LOL.

Best of luck to you! Being tired all the time has got to be the pits!