Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new and in need of advice

Default new and in need of advice

I have 5 children 4 of which were breast feed with no issues
    My 5th however was born 11 weeks premature at the end of November
    I was unable to see him for the first 3 day as i was seriously ill (due to PPH & SPPH)but began expressing on day 4, my supply was very slow and never really came in properly. due to the situation and the strain of 4 other children to look after, traveling too and from the hospital every day and supply issues i made the decision to stop expressing and put my little man onto formula at 6 weeks
    Since then i have felt so down about stopping and my milk is gone bar a few drops (literally)

My little man is now 8 weeks old and came home last week and i would love to be able to give Bf a go again,
    Before i even considered this i really wanted to make sure little man knew what to do and was able to latch on ...which i happy to say he did

I have started taking fenugreek and hand expressing as much as i can. I also put little man to the breast before he has his bottle, and last night for the first time i was actually able to comfort him with the breast as he was really upset

My only problem is that i am really worried about supply and I'm not actually sure little man is stimulating me to make any milk
    as a person i am very impatient but i know something like this will take time

Not sure what advice I'm looking for really just any hints or tips to help me try and succeed

Thanks for reading
    x

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: new and in need of advice

Hi Momma! Welcome and congrats on the birth of your baby!

It sounds to be like you are really on your way to establishing a solid breastfeeding relationship. Offering the breast as much as possible, lots of skin to skin contact, water, oatmeal, mother's milk tea are all other ways to encourage milk.

You're doing really great! Keep up the good work!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Welcome! It's terrific that you want to give BF a go again, and even better that your baby will latch on! That's really excellent progress already. I would start the relactation process by allowing him as much time at the breast as you both can stand- the more he thinks of the breast as a fun, comforting place to hang out the more chance there is of nursing him exclusively.

I would also see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, as soon as possible. (Your local hospital, pediatrician, and LLL are good sources for referrals.) When you're trying to relactate, there's nothing better than hands-on help! When you see the LC, make sure she gets you hooked up with a really excellent pump- I personally recommend a hospital-grade rental pump- with correctly-sized breastshields. Pumping frequently (I'm talking 8-12 times a day) with a good pump is generally way better than hand expression when it comes to increasing milk supply.

You also may want to talk to your doctor or midwife about prescription drugs which can help boost supply. Reglan (available in the US) and Domperidone (Canada and the UK) are anti-nausea drugs which can increase milk supply as a side-effect. Both have additional side-effects and are not for every mom, so you really need to talk to your healthcare provider before taking either one.

Until you get to see the LC, here are some links which may help:
    Help - My Baby Won't Nurse!
    Establishing and maintaining milk supply when baby is not nursing

Alternative feeding methods
    Weaning from formula supplements
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi mama! There is nothing I could add that hasn't been said. I just wanted to say that I think it's AWESOME that you are giving this a go and you are a total to your baby no matter how you end up feeding him. I Love that he is comforted by the breast and I think that is a REALLY great sign! Good luck mama and keep coming back here for support!

Oh and LOVE your name
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Thank you for the advice and links, unfortunately budget doesn't allow for me to purchase or hire a electric pump at the moment and the hand pump i have is,.....well....lets just say it's no good .

I used to take Domperidone when my Ollie was in NICU but they caused sever cramps so had to stop

I'm going to be contacting a LC tomorrow and see what help they can give me.

I've read on a few others posts that some of you have fationed your own SNS and I'm thinking this may be an idea for myself but HOW?

Thanks again for the advice and links

x

unfortunately budget doesn't allow for me to purchase or hire a electric pump
    Oh rats! If you're in the US, are you eligible for WIC? I believe some moms have success getting electric pumps from them.

I've read on a few others posts that some of you have fationed your own SNS and I'm thinking this may be an idea for myself but HOW?
    All you really need is a bottle of milk or formula and some small-diameter plastic tubing (ask your LC what the right diameter is- IIRC it's like 1mm or something). You cut a hole in the bottle nipple, insert one end of the tube into the milk/formula inside, and the other end gets slipped into the baby's mouth while he's nursing. That allows the baby to suck milk from the bottle and the breast simultaneously.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Yes, WIC in the US will loan pumps and or give them to you. Also, some insurance companies will pay for them. Might be a few things to look into.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

If you're in the US, are you eligible for WIC?
    I'm in the UK

All you really need is a bottle of milk or formula and some small-diameter plastic tubing (ask your LC what the right diameter is- IIRC it's like 1mm or something). You cut a hole in the bottle nipple, insert one end of the tube into the milk/formula inside, and the other end gets slipped into the baby's mouth while he's nursing. That allows the baby to suck milk from the bottle and the breast simultaneously..
    Ahh thank you
    I'm Siobhan(or Sib)
    Mum to 5, Newest addition Ollie born Nov 30th '09, 11weeks Prem weighing 2lb 12
    hoping to get this going so i can eventually my little man

I definitely recommend a SNS of some kind. When my DS was having MAJOR nursing issues that is what a LC gave me and it was what restored my supply. Since he was getting a letdown (just not a lot of milk), I had him empty my breasts first without the supplement. Then I would hook myself up and put in the supplement. It was amazing how much this extra stimulation boosted my supply. Kellymom has some great info about how to wean off of supplements. I did this without a pump. With a pump, I'm sure it would have been faster, but it did work.

You can do this mamma!!! Way to go

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*crazylady View Post
    I'm in the UK
    Do you have a midwife or a health visitor available to you? They may know how to get a pump out of the NHS...