Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to pump

Default How to pump

I have been breastfeeding my twin girls for 6 weeks and would like to start pumping to store milk for the future. Like when I go back to work in June and when I need/want to go out and leave the girls with grammy. I was wondering exactly how to start storing/building up enough for when I leave. I just have no idea how much they are going to be eating. I pumped earlier on and was syringe feeding when they were first born. I just don't seem to get a ton out. Maybe like 3 ounces or sometimes 4 if I'm really lucky. This is usually first thing in the morning. Throughout the day it's less. Is this a good amount? I just feel like it would take all day to pump enough to leave for one feeding. Any info would help. Thanks
    Olivia and Lilliana
    born
    December 10, 2009!!

I and my husband and I and

Default Re: How to pump

Well, this is what I did recently before I went back to work... I would feed my son in the morning, then pump both breasts right after his feeding. I would freeze whatever I pumped in the Lansinoh bags, even if it was only 2oz or so. (Lay them flat in the freezer so they don't take up as much room!) I only pumped once per day (1) because it's a pain in the butt for me to pump and (2) I didn't want to cause oversupply issues. My son did start daycare and is currently only drinking 2oz. in his bottle at a time, he is fed about every 1.5 hours. Anywho, when I came back to work I had about 100oz of milk stored up in the freezer by pumping just once per day for about 4 weeks. Whenever you leave your girls with their grammy, just defrost some of what you have stored for their bottles. HTH!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thanks for your response. That helps out lots.
    Olivia and Lilliana
    born
    December 10, 2009!!

I and my husband and I and

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I totally agree with Buff. Pump what you can, freeze it and before you know it, you'll have a stash. By June, you should have a really nice amount.

This milk calculator on www.kellymom.com was really helpful to me.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

I also have a hard time getting much out when I pump! Watching this video helped a ton:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

BTW, I have twins, too -- age 3 -- and their 5-yr-old big sister. Good work! Six weeks is a really hard age