Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing while working

Default Nursing while working

I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my first and I plan on breastfeeding/pumping. Unfortunately, due to my financial situation I may have to start seeking employment a couple weeks after giving birth. My plan is to breast feed when I am at home with my baby and pump at work. I've read articles and seen videos of how much work it can be to nurse a baby, even though these articles and videos have caused me to become discouraged at times about nursing while working I still want to breastfeed/pump in order to keep a bond between us since I do have to return to work earlier than I wanted to. I need advice on how to maintain a steady milk supply while being a working mom.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: Nursing while working

HI and welcome! Congrats on the upcoming birth of your baby!

It is totally possible to work and nurse. I work full time, pumped at work until my DD was 14 months and breastfed until she was 17 months.

Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand, so the best thing you can do is to offer the breast often after your LO is born. Feed on demand and dont worry about schedules. Make sure baby has lots of dirty and wet diapers. Once you start working, pump every 2-3 hours (in an 8 hour shift). Pumping is different that breastfeeding, so you may notice that you dont always get a lot out. Dont worry - that's normal and isn;t indicative of what baby is getting while nursing. Invest in a good electric pump if you can and take your time acclimating to it.

Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions - that's what we're all here for!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut