Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which pump

Default Which pump

1) I am looking into pumps since I will need to return to work in about 2 months. I'm looking at a couple Medela's and wanted to know what other's feel about them.

Medela InStyle Advanced or Medela Freestyle Hands-free breast pumps

I'm wondering... do I really need to pay the extra money for the hands-free option? Is this something I would actually use? Thanks for your input!

2) I am wondering what kind of supply I need to build up before I go back to work. I'm a teacher and need to go to work at the end of March and work through May. I'm a little concerned because I don't really like my job at all; it's quite stressful. I'm worried about my supply dwindling already. So how much do I need to have stocked in the freezer? My DD will be 3 months when I go back.
    Last edited by @llli*mesamomma; January 22nd, 2010 at 07:58 PM.

Default Re: Which pump

I have the freestyle not for the hands free option, but for the portability and battery power. Awesome.

I got mine for $270 at www.bestbuybaby.com which is the price of the PISA at babies r us.

For hands free set up an easy expressions hands free bustier is the way to go.

My goal was 100 oz in the freezer before I returned to work. I made 105 oz frozen when I started back when my daughter was 8 weeks old. That really allowed me some cushion for the bad pumping days. She's 2 and 2 months now and for the last 7 months I've been giving her milk from my frozen supply. She self-weaned when I went dry from getting pregnant again. I found the best way to build up my storage was letting her nurse on one side while I pumped the other. It really helped my letdown and production. I just alternated which side she nursed from. Hope this helps. I used the Pump In Style as Freestyle wasn't around then. It took me 30 minutes at work to pump 4 oz. I'm trying to figure out what would be a more efficient pump!

I have only been EPing so had lot of milk saved when I went back to work at 3 months. I would think that having at least a few days worth would be good, but you only have to have enough for that next day's bottles. Any extra you have frozen would help ease your stress level in case working again does affect your supply a bit initially.

As for pumps, I have a PISA which has worked great for almost 9 months of EPing. Haven't tried the hands free pump, but that sounds good. I can hold both attachments on the PISA by wrapping my forearm across. This at least frees up one hand to continue working while pumping. The PISA also has a battery pack that uses 8-AA batteries. Works pretty well for just occasional use - I have depended on it a lot for work travel trips.
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I used the Medela PISA and loved it! I worked and used this idea from www.kellymom.com to go hands free.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

My sister has the Medela Free Style and she loved it. I tried it and it just was too much to do to get it going. I didn't want to be "attached" to a bra and a machine even though it meant my hands were free. It turned out I needed my hands anyway to massage for the best output of my pumping sessions. So I gave in and bought a Pump in Style Advanced and I love it. Shame on Medela for not making the parts interchangeable. I had to buy all new parts instead of using what I had from the Free Style.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laydeedancer View Post
    I used the Medela PISA and loved it! I worked and used this idea from www.kellymom.com to go hands free.
    Funny, I got really good at just putting one arm over both so I could at least have one hand, two if I was in the right position.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Well I have a PIS Original and it has been a GREAT pump! I've pumped 4-6 times a day 5 days a week for 5 months straight and it has dutifully done it's job. If I had the money, I'd probably spring for a Freestyle. It would be nice for me to be able to get up and do some tasks away from my desk while working. I have heard that people who have the Freestyle don't really like the hands-free set up that it comes with. I have the easyexpressions bra and LOVE it. I even pump in the car with it!

Used a PISA with DS1 and pumped until he was 16 mo.

For DS2 I traded in the PISA for a freestyle. I REALLY like that it is super small. Don't really like the hands free thing that it comes with so use the easy expressions bustier instead.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I have a PISA and with it built up an ~100 ounce stash before going back to work. Been back to work about a month now and its still working fine. Haven't had to use the stash at all yet. I am also a teacher and I know it can be stressful. I don't get any breaks during the day and have to rely on my aide's goodwill to watch the class and pump in the kitchen storage room. But it's worth it! If I can do it for 5 months until the end of the year you can do it for 2! Take Fenugreek and eat oatmeal, and keep your eyes on the prize!