Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Weaning - Which Session to Drop?

Default Pump Weaning - Which Session to Drop?

Now that my LO is past 12 mo, I have been reducing my pumping by one session per week and looking forward to HUTH. I used to pump 3x per day at work and then once before bed. Now I'm down to 2 pumps (at 1 pm and 11pm), plus nursing at about 7am and 7pm.

I should be due next week to drop another session. Just wondering if there is any reason to drop the day vs the night session first? For the session that I drop, I plan on gradually decreasing the time pumped over the week to help minimize the fullness/engorgement.

Default Re: Pump Weaning - Which Session to Drop?

Which one is more annoying to you? Personally, I would drop the 11 pm one, but I'm usually in bed at 11 pm.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hmm...I think I may vote for the night session. Although dropping the last day session means no more hauling my pump bag to work...

I guess it really shouldn't matter, as I will get rid of the other soon. I think I am probably just trying to find something to worry about. Although I will be so glad to stop pumping, it is also a hard mindset change since I have been so focused on increasing/maintaining pumping output for 10+ months!

I had to make a pump drop decision too. I used to pump:
    1) 5:30 a.m.
    2) 10:30 a.m.
    3) 4:00 pm.
    4) 10:30 p.m

Now my baby is one and I've eliminated the 10:30 am pumping session by gradually pumping less and then pushing it off a bit by just pumping to soften the breast. Now my schedule is:
    1) 6:00 am
    2) 4:00 pm
    3) 10:30 pm

And I am going to get rid of the 4:00 pm next in about a week. I'm slowing weaning the pumping schedule as my DD is drinking more cow's milk mixed with breastmilk. One year plus of exclusive pumping has exhausted me...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mima View Post
    Hmm...I think I may vote for the night session. Although dropping the last day session means no more hauling my pump bag to work...

I guess it really shouldn't matter, as I will get rid of the other soon. I think I am probably just trying to find something to worry about. Although I will be so glad to stop pumping, it is also a hard mindset change since I have been so focused on increasing/maintaining pumping output for 10+ months!
    It is funny how hard it is to finally decide not to pump. It seems so hard at first, and such a pain, but it is hard to give it up. Congratulations to you for sticking with it!

You know, you could split the difference and pump at your first opportunity when you get home. That way you're not hauling the pump back and forth to work and you are not getting up at 11 pm to pump.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*exclusivepumper View Post
    I
    . One year plus of exclusive pumping has exhausted me...
    I bet! I am always so impressed with you ep-ers!!
    Tracie

Mommy to