Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only One Tooth

Default Only One Tooth

What do you feed an almost 10mo who's finally showing an interest in eating? She's only got the one tooth but wants to eat what we eat. She doesn't like purees either.

*I have to find Lynn's link*

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Default Re: Only One Tooth

I don't think it matters if she has teeth since babies have hard gums. Lance refused purees at 10 months and only ate table foods after that. I think it's fine to give her what you are eating as long as you are careful about allergies, and I know that you are.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

my Lo always wants what we eat and has since she was about 8 mos. She only just got her teeth a few weeks ago. I just made sure that it was either really soft or smaller than a cheerio.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

That was MK. I wasn't terribly concerned with her only have one tooth and the foods we gave her. I would give her things that were naturally soft, like sweet potato, steamed carrots - whole, not pureed - bread, oatmeal, farina, macaroni noodles, apples, banana, all melons and even pieces of shredded chicken. Things that didn't really need to be chewed but could be gummed or if swallowed as is wouldn't be bad.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Yeah, she wants bread (free of her allergens of course) and chicken. I'm a bit terrified. I mean I've given her what she wants, then watch her like a hawk JIC but was not this way with K. Then again, she had a couple teeth at this point. This kid's killing me.

She likes to self feed so not sure about the oatmeal. Maybe I'll try sweet potato oven fries tomorrow.

"Don't toush da mango"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    Yeah, she wants bread (free of her allergens of course) and chicken. I'm a bit terrified. I mean I've given her what she wants, then watch her like a hawk JIC but was not this way with K. Then again, she had a couple teeth at this point. This kid's killing me.

She likes to self feed so not sure about the oatmeal. Maybe I'll try sweet potato oven fries tomorrow.
    Shred the chicken, so it's just thin hair like pieces. She can't possibly choke on that, can she? Yeah, the oatmeal is a messy one to eat alone, but kind of funny too

I think as a breastfeeding mom, you might be excited about not having too many teeth yet. I know I was!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    I think as a breastfeeding mom, you might be excited about not having too many teeth yet. I know I was!
    Although she still tested it out, but that was shut down quite quickly.

Yeah, I'll shred. Oatmeal, maybe we will try this weekend. Both my girls are weird though. They 'taste' the food before eating it. If they don't like the texture in their hand, it gets dropped and never reaches the mouth...Divas.

"Don't toush da mango"

Black beans are awesome, we love 'em... I keep a container of almond butter in the fridge for spreading on bread or whatever if I am eating something my girl can't have. She's got two teeth, but they still aren't much good for anything. Noodles are a wonder, and lots of fun to play with (and can be smashed with gums). Steamed green beans worked well for us, so has steamed broccoli, carrots.. We've just gotten to where most meals have some steamed veggie in them, and the baby gets a bit of meat (she sucks on, mashes with gums, and spits out eventually). I couldn't get her to eat avocado on its own, but she loves it spread on bread (actually, she loves anything spread on bread). We give her chicken frequently, I cut it cross grain so that when she gums it, it falls apart in tiny shreds.
    Last edited by @llli*eris; January 16th, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Haylee didn't have any teeth until 11 months either. And then only 2 until 16 months. I fed her whatever we were eating, for the most part. If it was steak it got cut into little tiny pieces, that were essentially swallowable without being chewed. They don't really chew at that age anyway. Oh, and with bread, small pieces or toasted, to prevent it sticking together and becoming a gummy ball.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Which link are you looking for? The one about introducing foods to allergy baby?

Remember that LO really don't do true chewing until they get molars ... which isn't for quite awhile.

We did BLS and my "test" always was whether I could eat the food with just my tongue and the roof of my mouth (not using my teeth).

Baby gums are HARD and pretty good at obliterating things. My 4 mo old is already "practicing" chomping on nipples and just in case L is more gentle I can reassure you that baby gums chomping HURTS.

Watch like a hawk.

And please tell me you've taken infant CPR class?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)