Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Making and freezing baby food

Default Making and freezing baby food

I'm interested in making my own baby food. But I was wondering if I can make alot ahead and freeze it? For one thing, I want to use organic fruits and veggies and the only place to buy those is over an hour away, so I'd have to buy a bunch a once and store the food somehow. Also, rather than making it as I need it, it would be nice to make a bunch all at once and then just get it out as needed. Suggestions??? Thanks!!

Default Re: Making and freezing baby food

Most things you can freeze for up to 30 days, at least. I make food up once every 2 weeks or so, usually and that works great. I don't have to do a lot, so it doesn't seem time consuming and it stays nice and fresh. It tastes nice and fresh!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hi
    check out this site http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

What do you freeze the food in? I bought 2 sample packs of gerber foods so that I could see which fruits and veggies she likes, so could I just re-use the little glass jars and put food in those to freeze? Also, once I freeze it and then thaw for use, how long can I keep it in the fridge? It takes her about 3-4 days right now to finish a tiny jar of food, so would I be able to still take that long with thawed food? Checking out the website now... Thanks!

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I made baby food for my boys yeeeears ago (they are 15 and 16 now) and I plan to again for my 6 month old. Back then I made batches of whatever the food was going to be that week and portioned it out into ice cube trays. Then I would cover the trays with plastic wrap and freeze them. Once frozen, I would pop the cubes out, one at a time for a serving (or more cubes, depending on how much I wanted to serve), and defrost them and serve them. This was mostly for the pureed foods.

I have used the glass jars for refreezing, and smaller type glass mason jars, although those are not as handy because they are so big. I just didn't fill them all the way to the top. The ice cube tray idea is fantastic, though, and would be just about the right size for a baby just learning solids...they are about 1 oz and most of the stage 1 baby foods are 2.5 oz (I think!). I also got some used plastic gerber containers, that I use now. I had a couple 3 oz tupperware containers that worked great, and I know you can buy those disposable glad containers that are very small (and just reuse them to save on $$$ and waste). Just some thoughts!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I've also heard of buying small jarred mushroom or artichokes and then reusing those glass jars after cleaning and sterilizing. In fact, I used Frapaccino bottles to freeze bm in and those worked great for that.

The ice cube trays do work well. I would freeze the fruits and veggies (i would also make about a 2-week supply of a variety of green/orange veggies plus fruits like peaches and pears) in the ice cube trays. Then, to save space, I would move the frozen cubes into labeled frozen ziploc bags. Every morning (or sometimes the night before), I would take a few cubes out of the freezer to defrost for the next day. It really was easy and we saved SO much money on baby food. Those jarred foods are 50% water (or more) and SO expensive.

Fun fact: halfway through using my second 2-3 week batch of veggies, DD decided to finger feed pea-size chunks to herself so I had all these cubes of pureed food that she didn't really want. I found a great use for the cubes, though: I threw them in the crockpot, added a few cans of diced tomatoes and some vegetable broth and spices. It made a GREAT vegetable soup.