Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a sign???

Default Re: Is this a sign???

That's really silly to wait until a year! I don't understand why doctors are so weird about it. I EPed for DS1 for 17 months because the ENT we saw wouldn't do it. We were referred to a different ENT at a year because he still couldn't move his tongue out of his mouth and he wasn't babbling. DS2 was tongue tied too and his was clipped at 4 days. DS1's frenulum has stretched out on it's own finally. It is such an easy procedure for a newborn it is surgery under general anesthesia if it's done at a year.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    That's really silly to wait until a year! I don't understand why doctors are so weird about it. I EPed for DS1 for 17 months because the ENT we saw wouldn't do it. We were referred to a different ENT at a year because he still couldn't move his tongue out of his mouth and he wasn't babbling. DS2 was tongue tied too and his was clipped at 4 days. DS1's frenulum has stretched out on it's own finally. It is such an easy procedure for a newborn it is surgery under general anesthesia if it's done at a year.
    agreed! my nephew had his done at 4 years and it required several stitches and general anesthesia. DS was a few little snips at the dentist's office. a little trickle of blood that stopped after nursing. He didn't cry when clipped only that we were holding him down.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Ack!!! Now I am freaked out about the tongue tie issue!! My Dr was so casual about it. I'll be calling on Monday talk about it. My guy babbles, lot's, should he not be if he is tongue tied?? Both my boys talk alot. It was the public health nurse who gave the inital diagnosis. I see their pediatrican in March again, so if my GP won't do anything, I'll see if she will.

On a side note, I put a call into Medela today and they directed me to my local stores for a new adapter. However both places were less than helpful. I searched online as well, and if I wanted to pay high shipping (88+) I could get one by the middle of next week. So I called them back and they are sending me a new adapter, for free as well as free shipping. I won't get it any sooner, but at least it's coming.

For now, I'm using this Ameda I bought off of Ebay, does anyone know if it's supposed to beep with every piston draw? Also, I used to be able to fill, to the top, a 5oz Medela storage bottle, on each side, plus between 1-4oz each pump. Now I am only getting the full 5oz bottle, and barely at that. Is that the pump? Or just my supply dwindling due to poor pumping quality with the PISA battery pack?? Thanks again for any insight!

Tara

If your LO is on track with speech then the procedure is not necessary. It is extremely useful to help with BF problems, but I believe in most babies it will stretch out on its own. DS has speech delays due to the tongue tie but his frenulum has stretched out a lot now. He also had speech therapy and the therapist gave us some activities to help him stretch it out. So if your LO is doing well speech-wise and you don't plan on getting him to latch at that point cutting the frenulum would likely be unnecessary.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Sounds like the amount you are pumping could be related to pump effieciency, but might also be the stress you are going through with all of this! I also had to wait on some parts from Medela for my PISA, but just rented a Symphony in the interim. More expense, but the pump is awesome!

With regards to the tongue tied conversation, that is such a hard decision. My son never successfully latched well enough to nurse. His situation is not so bad...normal development and could latch, just would not try to stay on. However, we were also in a situation where he had to get a bottle for a few days initially in the hospital which didn't help. The LC I worked with did give us some info and a Dr. that would do the tongue tied procedure. However, my DH and I decided we would rather not have this done. Every situation is so different though - espeically with twins. I know someone who pumped for 10 weeks while trying to get her twins to nurse and it worked. They both started nursing eventually so it is possible!
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

My dd had a posterior tongue tie and finally got it clipped around 6 weeks. It might have helped her remove a little more milk but I can't tell a big difference. I think it was still worth the try, though.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I'll still ask my Dr's about it, but at this time, since it's unlikley my boys will ever get on the breast, I won't likely pursue it, unless it becomes an issue with their speech.

I am going to try and rent a better pump today, the one store in town that rents Medela pumps only has one, and has a waiting list for it. There are a couple of places that rent Ameda and one that rents Mother's ...... not remembering what she told me now. It's compatible with Medela though, I asked.

If I wasn't so stubborn, dh has been after me for weeks to quit, 'for my own good' I would, but there's no way I am paying for formula for 2 kids and my boys are doing just fine growing from what I can give them. It seems there's all sorts of support for actual breast feeding around here, but not so much for pumping, which to me, is harder. Oh well, maybe my next baby will be able to latch!

Thanks again!!

Tara

Tara,
    I've been exclusively pumping for more than a year since my DD did not latch. It's such a commitment, I can't imagine anyone understanding until you are in it AND YOU ARE THERE. Bless your heart for doing it for two. You are amazing!
    As for your production levels--If you are stressed, it will diminish but it'll come right back if you keep your pumping schedule going. Good luck! I remember I hit a peak where my right breast was producing more than the Medela 5 oz. bottle and my DH had to quickly switch to an empty bottle mid stream for a few nights! I have the Pump in Style Advanced and I am so afraid that motor is going to konk some day on me from the usage it has gotten! Medela should give me a medal for the workout I've given its pump! I hope I don't have to buy a new one with each child!!!!

Thanks!! Theday my pump died I was just starting a pump session and it was just before 6pm on a Saturday, I had to FLY to the pharmacy I was so lucky they even had one! Medela was great, had anew motor out to methe nextday. This time the weren't as great with the adapter but at least they finally conceded to send me one, no charge. I've spent a small fortune on batteries though!

Tara