Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump weaning

Default pump weaning

How do you know how to wean from the pump? Do you just pump enough that you fulfill your baby's needs and then back off if you have extra? My dd nurses throughout the night, her morning nap and then another time or two during the day if she's in a good enough mood. She's also taking solids now so I've just quit pumping at night. She's 6 months old. I know I will keep pumping longer and said I'd do it till 12 months, but just wondering how any of you have backed off pumping when you realized you were keeping up with her (I've had low supply since Sept.). I guess I'm afraid to quit pumping at say, 11 months, and then realize she's not getting much at all when she nurses and not still have milk for her.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: pump weaning

Could you freeze the milk, or do you have a huge freezer stash? What are your current pumping times? How much milk are you pumping and how much is she drinking?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I pumped for well over a year because I didnt want to do anything that could possible harm the nursing relationship before her turned 1. Can you bear to continue that long?

I have about 270 oz in the freezer, it's not that I make extra, it's just that I'd rather spend the time with her than build up any extra at this point. Now I power pump 4:00 a.m., then pump every 2-3 hrs until about 8 pm when we go to bed. She nurses throughout the night. I can go till 12 months and pretty much expected to, but just wondered how the whole process works.

I get about 18 oz/day, she drinks it all, nurses and then takes solids for the rest. She's 15 lbs, 2.5 oz and 6 months old yesterday.

It sounds like you're already pumping the same amount that she drinks, right? I guess I don't understand your original question.

It sounds like you'll be able to stop pumping at a year, or even at 11 months if you want with 270 ounces in the freezer. Are you rotating that?

When I pump weaned, I dropped one session a month. I was pumping three times a day, so I took about three months to stop completely. And I think I had about a months worth of milk for her, her DCP weaned her off the bottle over a week or two.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yes, I just finished giving her thawed milk for 2 weeks so all this milk is from this month in the freezer. I am fine with what we're doing now and my question was more for the future. I probably didn't work it very clearly, either. Dropping a session a month makes sense, and just watching how much she needs, how much she nurses and how many solids she takes. Right now I'm just thrilled I don't have to set my alarm for the middle of the night pumping. Thank you for your reply!

That's awesome! What dedication you have to her to get up and pump at night!

When I dropped my first daytime session, I moved the others back a bit. I was pumping at 7:30, 11:30 and 3:30. So then I switched to pumping at 9 am and 1pm. I nurse at around 5 am and then 5:30 pm. Then I pumped at noon. Eventually, I just quit pumping.

I was really confused about how it all ends at first too. You're doing great!
    Tracie

Mommy to

It's so hard to give up the pump, I know! But honestly, if you aren't working and don't need the pumped milk, I would do what's most comfortable to you. The worst case is that your supply dips and you need to start pumping more again. At this point it's not as dire if you need to wait a few days for the supply to come back up, especially if she's eating solids.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I have been EPing for almost 9 months which is a little different, but have been wondering about weaning too. Between 6-7 months I was able to drop to pumping 4x/day and still keep up. I think my schedule was 5:30, 11:30, 4:30, 8:30 which worked okay with my full time job. Now at 8.5 months I only pump 3x/day, but just barley keep up. My son only drinks about 24 oz/day. I actually tried mixing a small amount of formula in bottles just to be sure he would drink it before I dropped to 3x/day. Thankfully, I have not had to give him much f. though! Now I am thinking maybe a year is possible...would not have said so a few months ago. My little guy is eating a good amount of solids and LOVES it so I have actually been trying to limit them a bit so he keeps drinking enough milk.
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

Well, I do need the pumped milk since she's so poor at milk removal and just never has been a good nurser (except at night and I'm not really sure why). I think I will keep pumping at least some until her birthday just to make sure if she gets an attitude there is still milk for her. I really hope she chooses to nurse longer than a year but at this point I've decided that it's up to her to get it after a year, I really don't want to pump then. Yes I used to set my alarm twice every night so I never went more than 3 hrs without pumping. I feel so much better just lying in bed nursing.