Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Pain Meds are safest during recovery?

Default Which Pain Meds are safest during recovery?

Hello all and big hugs!

Just had a C section, in recovery, and not sure which meds to use (both doc and hospital are BF friendly but I wanted the experts (you gals) to weigh in.

I am off IV and going home tomorrow, not sure how to proceed with pain mgmt. in the safest way.

--Now taking a combination of Motrin and Percocet. Any suggestions on which is safer?

Of note: 1st baby BF like a maniac and was hardy sleepy (natural birth, no pain meds used during or after)...this baby sleeps LOTS, BFs every 3 or so hrs, average of 10 min per side, then passes out again. Milk not in yet, no longer topping up with formula (Yay!) and I think baby is fine (BF enough, I think???)

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

Default Re: Which Pain Meds are safest during recovery?

I took both motrin and percocet and didn't have any problems with either. As I understand they're both safe to take while BF.

Way to go on your natural delivery and healthy baby!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

It's most important for you to manage your pain so that you can relax when you nurse. A lot of women resist taking the pain meds after a c section and have a hard time nursing as a result.

May I ask why you were topping up with formula?

I used just over the counter motrin once I was home, now I didn't over do it or try to do too much, and that helped.
    Only up and down the stairs one time a day, no lifting anything but the baby. resting with my feet up most of the day.

I was given Motrin and Vicodin after my c-section 2 years ago... I definitely stayed on top of taking the Motrin around the clock until I was sure I didn't need it anymore. Never had to take the Vicodin, but filled the prescription just in case the pain was too much.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I was given atasol 30 and anaprox. I took the anaprox (anti-inflammatory) as directed and only needed the atasol 30 once when I missed a dose of the anaprox. I stayed on the anaprox 3 or 4 days after I came home.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I had a prescription for Percocet, but never filled it. I took Tylenol after the second day and it worked well for me. Congratulations on your new little one!

ETA: The other thing that helped me a lot with pain management was moving around as much I could. It was uncomfortable, but I could really tell a difference--the more I moved, the easier it was to move (not overdoing of course).
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; January 21st, 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*precioustori View Post
    I took both motrin and percocet and didn't have any problems with either. As I understand they're both safe to take while BF.

In the hospital after my c-section I stayed on top of the meds so that the pain didn't break through. After I went home I only took the percocet for one day because it made me feel funny and just took the 800 mg motrin until the bottle was gone.

Some may get to the baby, but you will not be able to nurse if you are in a lot of pain.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My pediatrician told me that Lilah should eat 12 times in 24 hours at the beginning. I started waking her up to nurse during the day if it had been 2 hours between the beginning of feedings and then let her wake me up at night.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I had a super last minute c-section after i was ready to push so i recovered from two types of deliveries. After the surgery i refused all meds except motrin. It wasn't that bad. Just wear your abdominal binder, eat plenty of fiber, and do NOT take the stool softener they try to give you. Vicodin and Percocet are not good drugs to pass on and anyone who tells you they are ok for the baby probably says the same for the epidural. They already give you drugs during the surgery that take time to wear off and that is good enough unless you damage your incision. I took 100 mg of Motrin off and on for a few days until i felt better. The tough part is the contractions while breastfeeding, but you can distract yourself and they are over quick. good luck.