Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nibble Nursing

Default Nibble Nursing

Colby is a nibble nurser. He likes to be at the breast for a long time and nibble. Kind of like a swallow here and there. He only goes for those long deep feeds a few times per day.

Do you think this is okay?

He seems happy. Diaper output is fine.
    I was thinking since he had such extreme reflux that was his natural way to adjust, frequent small feeds.

Then I was reading this-
    http://www.drgreene.com/qa/nibble-nursing

It is saying that how Colby is nursing is wrong. What do you think ?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Default Re: Nibble Nursing

Silas has always been like that too. But now he can get all he needs in just a minute or two then he's off on another adventure. If he's happy and diaper output is ok and YOU aren't bothered by it than I see no reason to change it unless maybe you need to. I think there are a lot of opinions about how BF is "supposed" to work but all babies aren't gonna fall in line. Mine sure didn't and he's just fine.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I really didn't like what that website said about making baby wait longer to nurse.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I really didn't like what that website said about making baby wait longer to nurse.
    Me either.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Don't read that. Frequent smaller meals are better for reflux. Trust your instincts, and his weight gain and diaper output. You might try breast compressions to renew his interest and get the milk flowing when he nurses if he is dawdling.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Me either! I couldnt believe when it said to "leave the house" I think my jaw hit the ground on that one!

If everything is going fine and both you and baby are happy, I wouldn't change anything.
    There are times when DS would just stay on and swallow here and there, but I loved that because it was more bonding time.
    Darylann

Married to my best friend 7/09
    Mommy to my Water baby T 10/29/09

Loving and Cloth diapering T's

expecting a 8/15/2011

Add me to the "I didn't like that website" list

Like *zplum said, if diaper output is fine, you're ok, and baby seems ok...then it's ok. I noticed that when my dd "nibble nurses" my supply increases though
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

wonder if dr sears has anything on his web site....

trust your baby you know him best!
    It sounds like hes growing and thriving!

breast compression can help some with keeping them activly sucking and swallowing.
    Last edited by @llli*andreafromohio; January 24th, 2010 at 08:10 PM.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022700.asp

Yes, but don't worry--your body will soon make more. More-frequent requests to nurse usually mean that your baby is going through a growth spurt. These occur around ten days to three weeks, six weeks, and three months of age. Think of these as "frequency days" when babies want and need to nurse "all the time" because they are growing very quickly. After a day or two of "marathon nursing," your body will begin to make more milk, and baby will need to feed less often. It's the supply and demand principle of milk production at work--only the demand part comes first, followed by the increase in supply.

When baby steps up his feedings, you need to cut back on your other commitments, at least for a few days. Just settle in and nurse your baby and don't worry about the housework or other commitments. Trying to do too much will quickly lead to exhaustion, and being exhausted will interfere with your body's ability to make more milk. Give yourself the opportunity to let biology work for you. (See Increasing Your Milk Supply" for suggestions.) The more often your baby nurses, the higher the level of milk-making hormones in your body. These will help you to relax during these potentially stressful days.

A baby is a baby for a very short time, so take advantage of this time to enjoy holding and nursing your baby. No one's life or growth is going to be affected if the housework doesn't get done.

Sorry for short response before the boys were getting up from nap.

As I was reading your post baby had been doing about an hour of what we call "snack and snooze" that sounds a lot like your nibble nursing.

Seems ok to me and your baby is still very young with LOTS of frequent growth spurts. I'd continue to just nurse on demand and follow baby's cues.

And also nursing is about so much more than just food. I figure baby needs some mommy snuggle time and all is good!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)