Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Working mom worried about drying up...HELP!!

Red face Working mom worried about drying up...HELP!!

I am a working mom that is also breastfeeding a 4 month old and have
    recently noticed that I am not producing as much milk as usual.
    Are there any tips/advice that anyone can give?
    This has just happened recently over the weekend.
    I feel like a camel with all of the water I'm drinking to stimulate the milk
    flow. I don't want to stop breastfeeding yet.
    I need help.
    Thank you.
    Kelly

Default Re: Working mom worried about drying up...HELP!!

Kelly,
    You might be suprised to find out that you are producing as much just not feeling as full, It is around 4 months that I stopped feeling like I was going to pop all of the time! Are you not seeing as much when you pump? Ir what is making you think you're not producing?

I eat a big owl of oatmeal in the am, about 30 minutes before my first pumping session.

More details and we'll se if we can figure out what's going on. You can do it, I came back to work at 3 months and have managed to keep going strong, don't be discouraged.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Smile Re: Working mom worried about drying up...HELP!!

Thanks Kelly.
    I just finished pumping at lunch, and didn't notice a decrease in milk.
    I guess I was worried since I haven't felt that engorged or as full as usual.
    Do you know if stress play a part in milk production?
    Thanks,
    Kelly

I find you stress yourself by just thinking your production is low. I had this thought recently. I had an off day, pump wise, and you go right to the thought of "OH MY GOD" my supply must be dropping. Generally it only happens once in a while and I had over stessed about it. Just keep pumping, and if you continue to see drops that may cause rise. Otherwise, pump, close your eyes and relax. That always helps me, don't keep looking down at the output. Visualize your milk is flowing.

Stress can play a part in your milk production. Thankfully, it's usually temporary, and limited to a few hours. Read through this - it may have some tips for you. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

This can be fixed. You can do it!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I'm having a tough time returning to work and with the pumping and feedings. My Grandmother is watching my son and I feel that she is over feeding him. I have formula in the house just in case the he has finished all of the breast milk I left him, but I feel because of the formula and the over feedings that I won't be able to supply him with enough to fill his growing tummy because of it. What should I do. He is 3mths old and I have been leaving him with 4 - 4oz bottles. I don't know if that is enough to hold him till I get home. When I leave in the mornings I bf him. HELP!!!! I'm getting depressed and emotional. don't know what to do with my grandmother.

Maybe you can give your grandma some tips on other ways to soothe the baby, ways that don't involve feeding him? You are providing plenty of milk; he shouldn't need more than that.

Some infants just need to suck on something; they aren't hungry, just want some comfort. Grandma's finger or the empty bottle at the end of feeding could be just what he needs.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!