Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No sleep yet..please help???

Default No sleep yet..please help???

Hi,

I have not been getting enough sleep for almost a month now. My baby who is now on her 8th month wakes up like 3 to 4 times at night. My mother in law takes care of her through the day.

This is some background info:-
    I live close to work. So I leave around 9 am.

-At 8:30 I BF,
    -Then she gets like 2 oz of EBM in bottle between 9 - noon,2 spoons of oat cereal and half of jarred food like carrot.
    -Come home at noon and BF her
    -And then between 1 - 5:30 she takes only 3 oz of EBM.
    -I come back at 5:30. From then onwards, I nurse her on demand.

I once tried peaches and she liked it. I guess may be because it had more sweetness than veggies.
    So far, we have not tried any fruits like bananas, apple, pear ,... We have only tried carrot, sweet potato and squash. She like carrot and sweet potato better. We have not given her fruits so far because we think that it is a lot of sugar. We are also concerned that she might stop taking veggies once we give her fruits. So what do you think about it?

What are the solutions for me and my baby to get good sleep at night?

increase solids?
    increase the milk intake?
    any other solution that you think of?

one specific question about solids:-
    I have a feeling that she likes fruits better. I once tried peaches and she liked it. I guess may be because it had more sweetness than veggies.
    So far, we have not tried any fruits like bananas, apple, pear ,... We have only tried carrot, sweet potato and squash. We have not given her fruits so far because we think that it is a lot of sugar. We are also concerned that she might stop taking veggies once we give her fruits. So what do you think about it?

Please help!

-Sangita

Default Re: No sleep yet..please help???

I'm sorry to say this, but solids are not the magic window into getting a good night's rest. It is really normal for them to wake up a lot - especially if we work during the day.

Do you co-sleep? That has really helped me cope with the night wakings.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

A lot of us have been down the road of sleepless nights, it is very common. I agree with Tracie that giving more solids is not the answer and in fact could have the opposite effect on sleep. Head over to the sleep forum, you'll find lots of advice for helping baby sleep better!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Regarding fruits vs. veggies, lots of people give fruits as first foods and have LOs that like fruits and veggies. In terms of the sweetness, BM itself is incredibly sweet-tasting and carrots as well are a very sweet vegetable. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck!

I also heard it was best to start with veggies instead of fruit, but do not think it really matters. To previous mom's point - BM is sweet! My son is almost 9 months, and I have just been trying to give him good variety. Not too much of anyone food, but trying as much new as we can while sticking to a three day rule to catch any allergies. I am hoping with variety he will be a better eater overall, but I guess nothing is for certain. Best of luck with getting sleep....that is really hard when you are working!
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

Your baby might want to nurse at night b/c she might be reverse cycling which is normal for babies to do if their mommas work. It can be a great way to get that yummy milk to baby but not such a great way to get a good night's sleep. Co-sleeping helps though you might try that.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I have no idea how often my baby wakes up at night. I just roll over, latch her on, and go back to sleep without even really waking up.

on the days that I work, my 7 mos. dd is the same that night...3-4 times to do a full feeding!! Not much u can do....Ithink she's just reverse cycling, although she'll eat ~10 oz of milk if I'm gone for 7 hrs....
    Proud mama to Reise Ireland Elizabeth 7lbs, 12oz....26 exciting hours of labour and a c-section!

and and and and waitressing and loving it!!

We started with bananas even though my mom tells me and I've read elsewhere to start w/veggies b/c of what you said. Now, I'll tell you my DD loves fruit, but she also loves veggies. NO LIE - I can have broccoli and bananas on her tray and she will pick out all the broccoli and eat it instead of the bananas. I wouldn't worry about it.

Co-sleeping has helped me to get much needed rest!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby