Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I don't know where to begin! help!

Default I don't know where to begin! help!

Hello all!

i'll start with a little background on where we are:
    My LO is 6 mos this week and has been showing signs of interest in solids for almost 2 mos. he can sit up now and has been able to hold his head steady practically from birth! he watches me eat and grabs at my utensils and plate and even opens and closes his mouth as he watches me eat. i started sharing applesauce with him about a month ago, mostly offering him a few bites and finishing it off and how daddy feeds him a couple of ounces of fruit puree mid morning each day (which is great, because daddy has been waiting for the opportunity to be more involved with feedings).

So the questions I have as we begin this journey are:
    how often should he be eating solids? and how much? as he was young to begin, i just offered them once per day (and not even daily in the begining). now i feel bad eating in front of him and daddy wants to offer him solids with all of our meals. is this ok? I am wary because i dont want to offer too many new things and bog down his system, but i dont want to deny him if he is ready, able and hungry for more!
    also, should i be consistent? ie. once i offer solids throughout the day, should i offer them every day and at the same times?
    and finally; i personally feel best when my diet is partially raw (which for me, means lots of raw fruit and veggies and separating food groups as much as possible so that for most meals, i am not mixing starches with proteins, etc, etc.). I also eat very little meat (pretty much only when someone else in the household wants and prepares it). I am not particularly morally attached to these food principles and i dont want to raise my son vegetarian or 'raw' by definition however i definitely feel better (more energized, regular, etc) when i eat this way and would like to feed my son in a way that makes him feel his best as well. do you recommend mixing fruits or proteins with grains for nutritional purposes or is it done just to fill him for longer? should i even be considering meats yet?!

sorry for all of the info and questions but i didnt realize how naiive i am on the topic! i guess i thought it was just so far away...
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in

Default Re: I don't know where to begin! help!

First of all, I moved from Seattle to Pullman about 1.5 years ago. I miss it so much! Where are you in Seattle? We lived in Northgate/Maple Leaf. Were just there last weekend. I even miss the traffic. . . .

I think solids is a really personal thing. I really like the idea of children being raised eating at the family table, so what you eat can become what your kiddo eats. So, you're absolutely right to consider what makes you feel good. Have you looked at the Baby Led Solids or Baby Led Weaning info? I'll try to find you a link.

Here's what I know (which isn't a lot, but it worked for us):
    1. Go SLOWLY!!! Every time you feed solids, it is actively weaning from the breast. This isn't a bad thing, but it needs to be gradual. So, no, there is no need to feed solids every day, or even every other day. I personally was not very consistent with it. If he seemed interested, I fed solids, otherwise I just breast fed. My guy wasn't a big solids fan until 8 months, but we started the experimentation around 6 months.

2. Solids before 1 year old is really just for baby to experiment with flavors and textures. He doesn't NEED solids for nutrition. He needs breast milk. So don't worry about getting in a certain amount.

3. Meat is a great first food, but only if you and your family enjoy meat. Family table.

4. And yes, solids can "bog down" his system. So watch him. If he is suddenly constipated or fussy, blame solids and slow down.

Ok, now for a baby led link. I love the idea of this, but only used some of the principles. Because my son is a gaggy guy, and I'm a wimp. My daughter will probably get to do more of this because I'm braver this time and a good friend of mine did it with her kids and said she will show up to help me out. Ask me in 5 or 6 months!

http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...lw/engels.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby-led_weaning

Hope this helps.
    Stephanie
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Default Re: I don't know where to begin! help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nursienurse View Post
    First of all, I moved from Seattle to Pullman about 1.5 years ago. I miss it so much! Where are you in Seattle? We lived in Northgate/Maple Leaf. Were just there last weekend. I even miss the traffic. . . .

I think solids is a really personal thing. I really like the idea of children being raised eating at the family table, so what you eat can become what your kiddo eats. So, you're absolutely right to consider what makes you feel good. Have you looked at the Baby Led Solids or Baby Led Weaning info? I'll try to find you a link.

Here's what I know (which isn't a lot, but it worked for us):
    1. Go SLOWLY!!! Every time you feed solids, it is actively weaning from the breast. This isn't a bad thing, but it needs to be gradual. So, no, there is no need to feed solids every day, or even every other day. I personally was not very consistent with it. If he seemed interested, I fed solids, otherwise I just breast fed. My guy wasn't a big solids fan until 8 months, but we started the experimentation around 6 months.

2. Solids before 1 year old is really just for baby to experiment with flavors and textures. He doesn't NEED solids for nutrition. He needs breast milk. So don't worry about getting in a certain amount.

3. Meat is a great first food, but only if you and your family enjoy meat. Family table.

4. And yes, solids can "bog down" his system. So watch him. If he is suddenly constipated or fussy, blame solids and slow down.

Ok, now for a baby led link. I love the idea of this, but only used some of the principles. Because my son is a gaggy guy, and I'm a wimp. My daughter will probably get to do more of this because I'm braver this time and a good friend of mine did it with her kids and said she will show up to help me out. Ask me in 5 or 6 months!

http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...lw/engels.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby-led_weaning

Hope this helps.
    Stephanie
    we are in greenlake, just a couple of miles from your old neighborhood! im a boston girl, myself but ive been out here for 3 years and i love everything about it so far. i havent had to much time to explore the pacific northwest, but i am trying slowly! how is pullman?

thanks so much for all of the info! i had never heard of BLS/BLW but i think that it is exactly the guideline/style that i was looking for! i have always believed that you should feed your children only things that you would put in your own body (easy while BFing) and it's nice to know that this can be done right from the start! thanks again!
    brenna

mom to Cash, 7/23/09
    born: 8lbs. 10oz
    5 mos: 21 lbs & 27 in
    8 mos: 24 lbs & 32 in