Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything BAD about rice cereal?

Default Is there anything BAD about rice cereal?

It seems like I've read a lot about how it doesn't do what people say--like keep the baby full longer at night, etc.. But would there be any harm in giving it? 2 ped's have suggested giving it to LO, as well as family. The only thing bad I can find about it is that LO isn't supposed to have supplemental iron, b/c it will make her more likely to have an iron deficiency later on. Did I understand that right? Well, is this true with rice cereal? Are there any without added iron?

She just turned 6 months and we're starting solids in the next few days. We were going to start with bananas last weekend, but life got too crazy. We're starting as soon as thing calm down, though. I'm tempted to give her cereal at some point also, but I just want to make sure there's not harm in doing so.

Default Re: Is there anything BAD about rice cereal?

I think the main problem with it is that nutritionally it just isn't that great when compared with breastmilk or many other possible first foods. So you fill baby's belly up with a nutritionally inferior substance and baby doesn't get as much of other things. So no, there isn't anything inherently bad about it that I'm aware of. It's just not necessarily good.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I think the main problem with it is that nutritionally it just isn't that great when compared with breastmilk or many other possible first foods. So you fill baby's belly up with a nutritionally inferior substance and baby doesn't get as much of other things. So no, there isn't anything inherently bad about it that I'm aware of. It's just not necessarily good.
    Exactly. Rice cereal is just plain starch with some added vitamins and minerals. No fiber, no protein, no healthy fats... It's basically paste. :P You can eat paste and no harm will come to you, but it's not going to give you any benefits, either.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

One of my friends whose lo has severe allergies advised me that all the cereals are processed in the same plant so there is a risk of cross contamination with other grains.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I have been wondering the same thing. My daughter is 6 months old now and we are getting ready to start some solids. I was thinking of doing baby cereal but thought the Oatmeal might be better...or does it not matter since it is the processed stuff?

We tried it the other night and she didn't seem to like it...she made icky faces as soon as I put it in her mouth.
    Benjamin 07/13/06
    Brooklynne 07/14/09

What about the extra iron from them? Is that bad? I know I've read that supplementing iron is bad--up to a certain age, but I can't remember what age--maybe 8 months? Is that true with cereal, too?

The worst thing about cereal is that my kid wouldn't eat it in any way shape or form (huge waste of money). Just remember to nurse the baby before you give solids (even mushy solids)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Nessa has actually started to like a little cereal mixed with veggies - it is the only way she likes pureed food. I give her Happy Bellies, which is a whole grain, and it is fortified with DHA and probiotics, which helps keep her regular now that we are on our little food journey. I prefer not to give her fruit juices (way too much sugar), so I like that the cereal actually helps with constipation.
    Anna, mama to baby Nessa born on 4/19/09 at 4 lb 13 oz - now she's 18 lbs!
    Loving cloth diapers
    Know someone with breast cancer in southern California who is struggling financially? We help low-income women with breast cancer.
    194 * * * ****140****135

Babies have enough iron until they are 6 months old (according to what I've read). So no iron supplements before then. But some cereals and vitamens still has too much - so read labels.

I read that once you start to give LO the iron supplemented cereal it can make it much harder for them to digest the iron from your breastmilk.

Also, if you think about rice in your own diet, it doesn't add much nutritionally, it only adds "bulk". Like one mom said, it's just starch. There is no real benefit to it, and IMO, yes it is bad.

Why would you want to take away the nutrition of your BM and replace it with no nutrition? Any solid you give baby will be less milk they will drink. Filling up babies stomach does NOT make them sleep longer, actually the opposite can happen where their stomach gets upset and they wake sooner.

We chose to avoid it altogether because if it's not adding, only taking away, it's not worth it to me.