Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just need a little cheering...

Unhappy Just need a little cheering...

It's late and I'm emotionally and physically exhausted, so forgive me if I'm not terribly eloquent or put together.

My son is 11 weeks. Due to a number of speed bumps, we've had a rough go with nursing, to the point that I've had to take relactation steps twice already. (The first time was the week after delivery - I had an immediate pp hemorrhage, but didn't get an immediate transfusion, so had to go back in for a few days, during which time I was too weak to hold my head up, let alone nurse him. The second time was right before Christmas when he spent a week in the hospital for pertussis. He couldn't breathe and wouldn't latch, so it wreaked havoc on my supply.)

I'm in the process of relactation 101 take three. I've got a chronic pain condition, and had an IUD placed earlier in the week. Long story short, the insertion triggered a flare and as a result, my milk supply has receded drastically.

I don't know if it's because I hurt so much right now, or if it's because I'm exhausted, but I'm really worried that this time won't go as well as the last two. Bug was preterm at 36 weeks and has a few issues of his own, including what seems like it might be some chronic pain, as well. Nursing him is one of the only things that can provide him comfort sometimes. While I realized that half of that could be achieved just with comfort suckling at the breast, I know that the rest of it really needs to come with the milk itself.

I guess I just need to hear that I'm worrying without cause right now. It's been less than 24 hours since I resumed the galactagogue combo, and I'm able to hand express a drop or two from each breast whenever I try.

Thanks for listening, mamas.

Default Re: Just need a little cheering...

Thanks for your speedy words of encouragement.

I've been conservatively managing my pain for the past few days, simply because with an 11 week old and a preschooler, I need to be as clear-headed as possible. When I have a bit more help this weekend I'll probably call in the big guns, which are my prescribed (and pediatrician approved) meds.
    http://accidentallymommy.blogspot.com

Mommy to Kinder Major (AKA Maiden,) born 14 February 2005, and Bug (AKA Monster,) born 11 November 2009.

Two time Mama, First time breastfeeder.

Babywearing, Cloth Diapers, and Cosleeping are Love.

"Unbeing dead isn't being alive." -e.e. cummings

I'm not at this time, as my plan has worked so well for me in the past. They way it stands right now is that I continue to let him nurse as he demands, including before formula supplementation. When he does take the bottle, it's in the same position I nurse him in and tucked right up against me s2s. Additionally, I'm taking fenugreek (2400 mg TID) and drinking Mother's Milk tea whenever I don't have my water bottle in my hand. I also aim for a dark beer with dinner when I can, and oats for breakfast.

If after a week or so this isn't showing any sign of improvement, I'll probably hunt down an IBCLC for other ideas.

Mommy to Kinder Major (AKA Maiden,) born 14 February 2005, and Bug (AKA Monster,) born 11 November 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mmc.momma View Post
    had an IUD placed earlier in the week.
    What kind of IUD- ParaGard or Mirena? Mirena can cause supply to decrease.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Paragard. I really do think it's just the flare that has caused the decrease.