Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep-deprived working mom needs to vent

Default Re: Sleep-deprived working mom needs to vent

Holy Moly....... Where do you catch a break?

Lola had her shots Friday afternoon ... She's been cranky all weekend .. and isn't sleeping more than 1/2 hr at a time at night..... I am so tired .. I don't know what to do.

I am running on fumes and could actually fall asleep at any time... Just put me in any corner with or without a pillow... Just a corner and some lanolin for my chapped nipples ...

*only positive in going to work is my nipples are getting somewhat of a break .....

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda View Post
    All that I can offer is the fact that you're not alone and perhaps by you and I both reading everyone's suggestions and words of support, we'll hang in there and things will change soon - the continuous changes have been amazing to me, let's keep our fingers crossed that the next change will be for the better.
    We'll get through this, we HAVE to!
    Lynda
    Thanks Lynda, I know I'm not alone. Rare, is the parent that doesn't have to deal with this at some point. I hope we both find some sleep soon. Just when I think I can't take anymore I make it through another day. I'm amazed at how resilient my body is (my mind was lost a couple of weeks ago ).

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    Lynda,
    I totally know where you are coming from. I do have a suggestion that might help. This only applies if you don't normally co-sleep (we don't). If this 1-2 hour waking pattern has been very recent, it might be teething, a growth spurt, or baby might have caught your cold. For me, these are the 3 most likely culprits when my DD wakes that often. It is hard, but one thing that makes it bearable for me is to just co-sleep for a night or two until she is feeling better. That way I don't have to get out of bed to BF, I barely have to wake up. By co-sleeping and using the side-lying position you won't have to get up at all. When we do this, my DH sleeps in the guest room because it is disruptive to his sleep, but after a night or two we've been able to move DD back to her own room without a problem.
    MollyB, By "recent" what do you mean? DS has been waking every 1-2hrs since Sept. 5th (almost a month now). Could that still be teething? I gave Tylenol a couple night ago and it seemed to calm him (could be me just getting my hopes up for a reason for this MADNESS!).

Also, we have been co-sleeping for the most part. DS startes out in the pack-n-play next to the bed and ends up with me after waking the 2nd or 3rd time. I feel like I've ruined any chance of getting him back in his crib! Does your LO go easily back and forth from co-sleeping spurts to back in her own bed? DS definitely prefers our bed but I can't do this much longer. Co-sleeping may help him sleep but I just can't do it.

BTW-I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one whose DH often sleeps in the guest room. He just can't take the activity in our bed!

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyMommy View Post
    Holy Moly....... Where do you catch a break?
    I'm wondering that myself.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Jennifer,
    It is possible that teething could be the problem, even if it has been a month. Teeth can take a while to come in! Has Luke been showing other signs of teething, like drooling a lot, biting on things, etc.?
    The link to your other post would not work for me, maybe because of the upgrade? Anyway, I am wondering- when did you go back to work? I should probably know this from your other posts but I sometimes can’t remember who posted what, KWIM? Is is possible that your DS is reverse cycling also? I WOTH, and my DD is a chronic reverse cycler, but she’s settled down to an average of 1-2 wakings per night now. However, if I work late or I am gone for a night (God forbid!) she will want to nurse more frequently the following night or two. Could it be that your DS is making up for missing you during the day? One thing that has helped reduce Eva’s night waking has been to have a nice, relaxing nursing session right when I get home from work at about 5:30 or 6. I just change into some comfy clothes, wrap the sling around us, and BF her while lying down on the sofa, usually for about 15-20 minutes. Sometimes we get in a cat nap, sometimes we just relax. It has really helped and it is one of my favorite parts of the day.
    I can’t totally remember, but I think Eva was waking about 3-4 times a night at about 6 months old. Now, there would be nights here and there where she slept longer, and some nights when she awoke more frequently. But, at least she went back to sleep right away after nursing. Does Luke go right back to sleep also?
    We don’t co-sleep very often, but when we do, DD goes between bed and crib fairly easily. She’s had a crib in her own room since 9 months old, and a crib in our room prior to that.
    Dr. Sears has several suggestions for sleep problems, including putting some distance between your LO and the “all night diner.” I don’t think this would be a good idea if your DS is in teething pain, though.
    If the Tylenol worked, and he is showing other signs of teething, try it again!
    I hope something here helped, and you get some sleep soon!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Has Luke been showing other signs of teething, like drooling a lot, biting on things, etc.?
    Yes, he's been doing all of those things since he was 3mos old. That's why I'm so hesitant to say it's teething since the classic "teething" signs are also basic baby behaviors.

Anyway, I am wondering- when did you go back to work? Is is possible that your DS is reverse cycling also?
    I went back to work 2 mos ago. I work an early shift so I'm gone from 6am-2pm. I have the whole rest of the day with him and when I'm at work he's at home with DH. He eats really well for dad so I don't think he's reverse cycling the the sense that he's held off eating until I get home. The first month I was back to work he was sleeping well. If it is reverse cycling b/c he misses me is it going to ever end!?

Does Luke go right back to sleep also?
    I have started bringing him back to bed with me b/c he was becoming difficult to put back to sleep in his crib. If he's with me he will go back to sleep easily. I'm afraid that he's going to grow accustomed to sleeping with me and never go back in his crib. I would like DH to move back into our bedroom again someday!

Thanks for your help. I know this phase will eventually pass. I'm statring to daydream about sleeping!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001