Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traveling to Costa Rica-must pump

Default Traveling to Costa Rica-must pump

I am traveling to Costa Rica without my LO and will need to pump while I'm away. I have found information about traveling with breast milk within the United States but I have questions about traveling out of the country.

I will pump regularly for the 4 days I am in Costa Rica and I plan on keeping the milk refrigerated the entire time as well as when I board the plane back to the U.S. In the U.S., I understand that I can bring the cooled/iced breast milk on board the plane as long as it is declared prior to inspection. Does anyone have experience with traveling out of the country? How can I find out? I'm ready to comply with the rules and want to be prepared.

Thanks.
    I'm probably typing with one hand due to having my baby latched-on -- so please forgive any weird typos!

Default Re: Traveling to Costa Rica-must pump

Will I be forced to discard the milk? Any leads on who I should ask? Perhaps pump and dump the milk? It would be such a waste when people are in need.

any help is appreciated.
    I'm probably typing with one hand due to having my baby latched-on -- so please forgive any weird typos!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Here is some info from the TSA website about flying with breastmilk.

I would think that your airline would be able to answer more questions.

Good luck!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*subelite View Post
    Will I be forced to discard the milk? Any leads on who I should ask? Perhaps pump and dump the milk? It would be such a waste when people are in need.

any help is appreciated.
    You probably already looked this up, but below is the link to TSA. They do say BM is okay in "reasonable" amounts, but their definition of reasonable and a nursing mom's definition are probably a bit different! Can you maybe call your airline for more info? I have taken work trips in the US, but usually pump and dump. A co-worker did an across country flight though with a small cooler full...not sure of the total volume. Good luck!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...x.shtm#formula
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

TSA is a U.S. entity, correct? I will be traveling outside of the U.S.

I will check out the link and see if they have any leads. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*subelite View Post
    TSA is a U.S. entity, correct? I will be traveling outside of the U.S.

I will check out the link and see if they have any leads. Thanks!
    Yes, TSA is US, but I think the US rules would apply to any flights coming into the states. I remember traveling out of the country when they first implemented the quart size bag and liquids rule. Airports/airlines overseas had the new rules applying to any US bound flights, but not necessarily those to other countries. Of course this may not be quite the same though....
    Cynthia
    Mom to Jaxon born 5/1/09. He would not so we and !

I'm wondering if I pack the BM in my luggage (not as a carry-on item), if the security personnel would bother the BM ? Ex, trying to open or investigate what type of liquid it is; and in that case I would not want to use the BM if improperly handled.

I was thinking of putting the BM "inventory" in the traditional BM storage bags but then also putting in larger plastic zip bags not only to prevent spillage but to seal the outer bags with packing tape to make sure they are not tampered with during the transportation.

I recall a previous trip to Mexico last year before I had my baby where the Mexican security personnel opened all luggage and rummaged through contents in front of all other travelers during the security checkpoint. The idea of someone handling my BM skeeves me out a little.