Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS w/ 6 month old

Default BLS w/ 6 month old

We've tried a little bit of purees w/ A but she isn't liking them like C did, so I am starting to consider BLS. What do you guys give a 6 month old and is it cooked or raw and how do you give it to them (shape)??? Be specific cause I am clueless in this department!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Default Re: BLS w/ 6 month old

Foods that are french fry shaped IF she is hitting the milestones. Can sit unassisted and has a pincher grasp.
    If she IS meeting those milestones
    Banana
    Avacado
    Sweet potato Fries (Baked)
    Watermelon
    That's where we began.
    AND if she won't put food in her own mouth, she's not ready. So put it away and try again in a few weeks.

Way too lazy for formula

I was scared out of my mind and diced everything tiny until after I read the GIl Rapley book. After learning about baby's gag reflex (triggered further forward than an adults) and stuff, I was less afraid and I went ahead and gave french fry sized slices of stuff. Broccoli trees (steamed) are awesome to try because they have a handle (handles are important until they get better at picking stuff up), and they can graze on the florets.

When we were starting, I gave her cooked on hard veggies (carrots, broccoli), and raw on softer stuff (she ate raw yellow squash sticks and loved them). I got my courage up and gave her a huge chunk of apple (after reading the book and having my confidence up) and she gummed the WHOLE thing down - I was shocked and amazed. Bananas pinched into long skinny thirds are extremely popular at my house also, first food I've heard her make a fuss over if she sees one nearby.

So: handles. Make sure it can be held in the hand, they don't know how to open their fists to get at food yet and if they don't have a pincer grip going they won't be able to get it in. After they can open their fists and/or have the pincer thing you can do more fun stuff like beans and tiny foods (we learned to open the fist to get at food, so she just smeared it into her mouth somehow for a while).
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Have you seen those mesh feeder bags, Laura?

And may I just mention, how the heck did little A get to be six months old already?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I gave avocado and banana to DS when he was 6 and he didn't seem to like them.but it was just that he was not ready for solids yet.now that is 8 mos he's slowly starting to appreciate avocado.
    does your LO shows all signs of readyness?
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Avocado was the first thing we gave, and he wasn't terribly impressed. He did like it mashed with a little banana, and he had a blast squishing it between his fingers (and sometimes even eating some ).

baby led solids guidelines

some of the early foods we gave DS1 included:
    - avocado
    - sweet potato
    - pears
    - banana
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Have you seen those mesh feeder bags, Laura?

And may I just mention, how the heck did little A get to be six months old already?

Yeah I have a mesh feeder and put banana in it and she loved it. I might use it with some other things, BLS scares the crap out of me, and I am so afraid of her chocking. I know, I know, it's safer than spoon feeding, but I just get so scared she'll get a big chunk!! And Laura, I wish I knew how she is that old already! We are having a half birthday party for her on next Saturday! I feel like she can't be that old already.

Thanks for all the ideas ladies, I think I might try the broccoli tonight for supper!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    L '12
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Even if she gets a big chunk she had things in place to protect her. Her tongue thrust, her gag reflex. The species survived for Thousands of years before Gerber invented purees. We survived as a species because of the way we are made. All purees really do is drag out how long it takes kids to learn to eat solids. Take a CPR class if you are worried. But you have a way larger risk of your toddler taking too large a bite and not chewing enough and having a problem than your infant while first learning.

Way too lazy for formula

Well Shelly, you'd be proud, I sucked up my worry last night and gave her a piece of broccoli, and guess what... she was fine! You guys are right, she gagged, but not like a chocking gag more like learning how to move food in her mouth. She really loved it too, and I feel a lot better about it! Thanks for the help ladies!!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    L '12
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11