Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: developed OS/OALD?

Default developed OS/OALD?

Hi,
    This is my first post, but I have been reading some threads for a few weeks and find this a great place to come for info and encouragement.

Here is my situation/question.

My DS is 11 weeks old. He has been BF since birth and I'd say things have gone pretty well. His nursing pattern has changed in the last few days and after reading an article on the LLL website, I wonder if I have developed OS and/or OALD...

I hate to label him as "fussy" but I find find that is often the description I give my husband when he gets home from work and asks me how the day went. He has always spit up a lot and made a ton of poopy diapers. He has also been a very frequent feeder since birth. He will usually seem content after a feeding (until yesterday) and then want to nurse again within an hour. But he has added some new behaviors such as crying at the breast, biting/clamping down, gulping, popping off and then franticly searching for the breast, shorter feedings, a lot more milk leaking/spraying/dripping. When he sleeps for a few hours, my breasts get very full, and I thought that that would lessen over time.

I am planning on trying block feeding to see if this help. Any suggestions on block feeding that have worked for you?
    Thanks
    SAHM to Titus b. 10-28-09
    Exclusively breastfed from birth and growing like a weed!

Default Re: developed OS/OALD?

I'm so glad you've found us. This is such a wonderful place for support.

I agree, it sounds like you are having a problem with oversupply and overactive letdown.

One thing you could do to help correct this is to give block feeding a shot. Block feeding is when you use on breast for a set amount of time. For example: For 3 hours, every time your LO asks to nurse, use your right breast. After those 3 hours are up, use your left breast for every session. This should help even out your supply.

One other thing that crossed my mind was that your LO is going through a growth spurt. Babies nurse much more frequently during these, and tend to be more fussy.

Check out the links and let us know if you have any more questions.

Congrats on your LO, mamma! Your are doing such a great thing by choosing to breastfeed!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: developed OS/OALD?

The previous poster gave some great tips. Another thing that you may want to try is to let the milk flow into a receiving blanket or burp cloth then latch the baby back on when the flow slows down a bit. Block feeding (as described by the previous poster) also could help even out your supply.
    Theresa
    LLL Leader