Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thicker less frequent poop

Default Thicker less frequent poop

My son will be 4 months old next Friday. He is exclusively breastfed. In the past week he started only pooping once or twice a day. Wednesday he skipped alltogether. I've been notcing his poop has been thicker than normal, a very pasty consistency. It has also been browner. Is this normal? His diapers have also been wetter with pee lately. He peed through a diaper during his nap this afternoon.

Default Re: Thicker less frequent poop

Totally normal. As babies age, their BM may become less frequenty and of a different consistency. Here is a great article about poop and it's variety of colors and consistencies.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Hmm. It doesn't say much about the thicker poop. It almost looks like peanut butter.

My LO's poop also looks like peanut butter sometimes. But he is 9 months old.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

so no solid foods yet? that made a HUGE difference in my 6mo's dirties. he stopped pooing every day when he was a couple months old, which is fine for boob babies, as long as their poos aren't hard. but after we started solids, the poo was MUCH thicker.

do you have a good pediatrician? why not call and ask the nurse, just so you feel better? i read 1000 times that it was normal for DS to not poo every day, but it was good to have a health professional tell ME that, you know?
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

No solids yet so that's not it. If I can stop worrying until Tuesday, I'll ask at my Mother-Baby group (run by a lactation consultant). He can't be constipated because I don't even notice when he poops anymore until I smell his diaper. It used to be loud and obvious by his funny faces.

When my LO was about 4 months his poops turned to a peanut butter consistency too! It has stayed that way...even after starting solids, although, he hardly eats anything so I don't think the solids have really affected his poops yet. If it is something you are worried about definitely call your dr to get reassurance.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

peanut butter is totally fine!if there's no mucus then it is totally normal.
    older babies absorb all the nutrients and poop less frequently.,and poop can be thicker.sit back and enjoy!
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

I talked to my pediatrician about this this morning and it is perfectly fine. Most likely the thicker poop is caused by the vitamins which are harder to digest than breastmilk.