Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No milk, already drying up?

Default No milk, already drying up?

I have a 5 day old and I desperatly want to breastfeed. He latched on the first few times in the hospital but has refused since then. I've never felt my milk come in, however today, my breasts are hot, sore and hard. I've been told that I am drying up. What can I do to stop this? I've tried pumping before today and nothing has ever come out. How am I drying up already? Someone please help.

Default Re: No milk, already drying up?

Quote Originally Posted by ecl7491
    I have a 5 day old and I desperatly want to breastfeed. He latched on the first few times in the hospital but has refused since then. I've never felt my milk come in, however today, my breasts are hot, sore and hard. I've been told that I am drying up. What can I do to stop this? I've tried pumping before today and nothing has ever come out. How am I drying up already? Someone please help.
    It sounds like your engorged, not drying up, your milk has come in and wants out. It can take awhile (5 days is average) for your milk to actually come in, before that they get colostrum, which is clearish yellowish in color and there is not a lot of it, but perfect amount for baby. Have you contacted your local LLL leader or LC for help on why he refuses to latch on?

Marcie (the previous poster) mentioned the best thing for you to do right now ... call your local LLL leader to have her help you get your baby to latch on. It does sound like your milk has come in and your breasts are engorged. It is imperitive that you get your baby to nurse or pump (if you weren't able to before, it could be your milk hadn't come in yet ... try again) to start telling your body it needs to continue producing milk, and to alleviate your soreness and avoid infections.

You are just getting your milk in ... it is just the beginning!

While you are waiting to talk to a LLL leader, see this link here for some great information to help you in the mean time:

My Newborn has never really gotten the hang of nursing. How can I get him back to the breast?

Some of the tips mentioned in this article to help your baby back to the breast include:

• Try nursing when your baby is asleep or very sleepy, such as during the night or, while napping.
    • Vary nursing positions. (see illustrations.) Some babies will refuse to nurse in one position but will take the breast in another.
    • Nurse when in motion.
    • Nurse in a quiet, darkened room or a place that is free from distractions.
    • Give your baby extra attention and skin-to-skin contact, which can be comforting for both of you.
    • When offering the breast, undress to the waist and clothe your baby in just a diaper when ever possible. Use a shawl or blanket around you if the room is chilly.
    • Use a baby sling or a carrier to keep the baby close between attempts to nurse.
    • Take warm baths together to soothe.
    • Sleep together in order to provide closeness and more opportunities to nurse.

See this link for information on engorgement:

My breasts feel extremely full and uncomfortable. What is happening and what can I do about it?

I think the absolute best idea for you is contacting a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Or you can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

Please post back and let us know how things are going for you ... you'll find some wonderful support from other nursing mamas here. But it is important that you speak with a leader in person in order to solve your baby's latching problem and get you guys nursing again!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

llli_vbulletin Guest

Congrats on your new arrival!

It sounds like you are engorged. Your milk has become more plentiful, or "come in". As previous posters have mentioned, your milk is not drying up. No worries, there.

How are you feeding baby now? Is he having plenty of wet and poopy diapers?

Here is the webpage for your local LLL Group:
    http://www.lllalmsla.org/lafayette.html
    Please do call someone local! Tell them we sent you.

In the meanwhile, please start expressing your milk. If you don't have a quality pump, maybe try hand expression. Here is a link with illustrations:
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Also, consider using skin to skin contact. This can help your baby remember how to nurse. To do this, strip your baby down to just his diaper. Take off your top and hold him upright on your chest (or a little lower, on your upper abdomen). If you are cool, wrap a blanket around the both of you. After a while, he may begin to root his way down towards your breast. Allow him to do it!! Then, gently help him latch on (for some great tips and instructions, look here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html).

If your baby isn't nursing, please express your breastmilk at least 10x in 24 hours. This will help keep up and build your milk production levels.

Keep us updated!

Sure sounds like engorgement to me!!! With my son, it took almost a week for my milk to come in-felt like a long time, and baby was very frustrated. However, once that happened, he took to nursing like a champ, and continued thru his first year. This time, with my daughter, it only took 2 days after her birth. Breasts can be sore, hot, feel full and heavy for a bit. But, the more you nurse your baby, the better.
    Congrats on your new arrival!!!

Just bumping this thread, I would love to hear a update, how is everything?