Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: refusing to eat

Default refusing to eat

hello all,

I have a 7 and a half month old. we started on solids about 7 weeks ago. He's in the 95 percile for height so didn't want to delay it. Anyway we had about a week over xmas when he really started to get into it, but the rest of the time every feeding is a drama. He cries as soon as I put him in the seat (tried different chair but no improvement) and then whines and keeps his mouth tightly closed. I manage to get a few spoonfuls in with games and sticking silly toys on my head to distract him, but it only works for a few minutes. Lately, he's even stopped eating the few things he did seem to like, apples and pears. It just seems to be another daily drama to add on to the nap problems (screams head off eveytime we put him down...). I'm trying to be patient but really feel we not getting anywhere. Has anyone got any advice, or at least experienced a similar problem?

Default Re: refusing to eat

My daughter didn't really want to eat solids until she was about 12 or 13 months old.

I'm curious - what does being at the 95th percentile for height have anything to do with it? You should offer, but if he doesn't want it, then don't force the issue.

Your milk has around 20 calories and ounce and lots of nutrients. Most foods are not as calorie dense and none are as nutrient dense as your milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

That doesn't sound much like curiousity to me.

My DS is 8.5 months old and hardly eats anything. Although, we are doing BLS...he plays with the food a lot and little bits end up in his mouth, but for the most part it is just play right now. He's getting lots of calories from BM so I'm not worried about it. Solids are more for experimentation at this age.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

My advice would be to relax, because what you're experiencing isn't actually a problem per se. It's totally normal baby behavior. And obviously your baby is doing just fine with an all-breastmilk diet- he didn't get into the 95th percentile by accident!

According to my very mainstream pediatrician, up until age 1, solids are only for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. After the first birthday, solids become an important part of the baby's diet, but the transition from needing only mama's milk to needing tons of solids is a gradual one, with many babies (like mine, who was also around the 95th percentile at 7 months) not eating more than a few bites of solid food until they are well into their second year. It's not like the baby goes to sleep on day 364 needing only breastmilk, and wakes up on day 365 needing a huge amount of solid food!

The one thing I notice in your post is that solids time seems to have become a real struggle between you and your baby. Pursed lips and crying says to me that your baby may be getting scared to get in the chair because he's formed all sorts of unpleasant associations with being there (like having a spoon put into his mouth- lots of kids HATE that- or tasting things he doesn't like). If he were my baby, I would just put the chair away for a while. Then I'd put him on the floor with a little tray of soft, easy-to-gum solids (like squashed peas, soft pieces of avocado or pear, cooked apples, bits of toast, etc.) in front of him, and see what he does with them. He might ignore them (fine- at least he didn't cry!). He might smear them all over the tray (great- he had fun investigating them!). He might put them in his mouth and then spit them out (terrific- he actually tried something!), or... wait for it... he might actually eat something!

Trust me, your baby will eventually pick up a liking for solid foods. He won't be exclusively breastfed as a teenager! But don't expect him to be like a baby in a Gerber ad, scarfing up the purees. He sounds like an independent little guy, and that's a good trait to have.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newbiemum View Post
    That doesn't sound much like curiousity to me.

I'm curious about why being in the 95th percentile would mean that he would mean more solids, that's all? sorry if it came out snotty, it's hard to convey tone in writing.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the advice all. I know it's not a big deal, I guess it's just one of many things we seem to be struggling with. I spent Xmas with family and my sister-in-law's little boy never cried once the whole two weeks and was wolfing down the solids. We have several daily crying fits, usually over him not wanting to nap then being cranky as he's tired. I'm alone with him a lot and he's not happy if I leave him for a minute while I get his bath ready or whatever. I wear him a lot but there are just some occassions when it's not safe. It feels like fussing and crying has become the soundtrack to my life. God, that sounds negative. Anyway, I'll try the tray thing. Sounds fun. And thanks again.

Sounds like your SIL has a mellow, relaxed baby, and you have one of those high-needs babies. Very challenging, and ultimately very rewarding!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"